get the sound into the computer...

the1bullet

Hi Everyone:

I'm trying to put together a simple studio to record my mostly acoustic songs. I've asked a few questions, but I still feel confused. This is what I have now:

* 1 new, fast computer with tons (1 gig) of ram
* 1 included SoundBlaster Audigy2 sound card (the top card you can get with a Dell 4600 today)
* Several decent microphones (including a Shure sm57)
* 1 Yamaha MG10/2 Mixer (for the preamps)
* Surround-Sound speakers

I still don't get how I'm supposed to go from my mixer to my computer. Can somebody help me out... being as specific as possible (here are specs for the mixer, if it helps: http://tinyurl.com/2hctm)?

Whatever I need, I'd like to keep it to a couple hundred dollars or less. Do I need a different sound card with different input options... an external audio interface... or what? Can someone recommend a specific solution for my situation (including necessary cables, please... I won't be offended by being talked down to).

It looks like the m-audio audiophile would be a good card to get... so then I'd go from one of the mixer outputs to the RCA inputs on the card? And would I be better off with the card... the USB interface, or the firewire interface? Why would someone get the interface instead?

Last, unrelated question... is there any use for a midi interface if I don't have a midi keyboard right now? At this point, everything I'd be recording would be through a mic.

Thanks. Your help is appreciated.

Bob

The1bullet,

Strictly speaking, you're almost there now. You need to take the two main outs from your mixer (may be referred to as stereo outs) and put them into the line in jacks of your soundcard. I'm not familiar with either your mixer or soundcard, but I believe it's just a matter of getting cables that can make that link.

As far as another soundcard - it's not necessary, but you will get better quality with the converters in an M-Audio card like the Audiophile that you mention. If you have the available pci slot inside your computer, I wouldn't necessarily get a firewire or usb card... just the plain old Audiophile should work just fine. In that case, yes you would go from the stereo outs of your mixer into the RCA ins of your soundcard.

As far as midi goes, don't rule it out just yet - you may well decide do use some simple Soundfonts, for percussion for instance. I believe the Audigy2 already has midi, doesn't it? I would keep the Audigy2 in your computer when you install the Audiophile - just make sure the Audiophile is your main AUDIO card and that the Audigy is only for midi.

Make any sense?

Fab

What you say makes sense, except that my sound card only has one line and one mic input, and they're the smallish headphone size (whatever is the most common... I think it's 1/8 inch). And I've been led to believe that I can only get poor quality recordings with that. So do I understand correctly that you think I can get by with this?

Let me put that question on hold for a second. The MG 10/2 mixer I have has jacks for REC-OUT and ST-OUT. The REC-OUT jacks are unbalanced RCA pin output jacks. The ST-OUT jacks are impedence-balanced phone-type output jacks (taken straight from the manual). Which should I be using to go from the mixer to the computer? And can I find some sort of cables that will go from separate L and R RCA or phone-type plugs to one 1/8 inch stereo line-in jack?

If I can get by without buying the audiophile, I'd like to. But if people think that's my best option, I'd like to know that. Also, I don't think the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 is midi capable (can somebody correct me if I'm wrong?).

Thanks,

Bob

Adapter

Go to Radio Shack and get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. I recorded like that for a while but I believe it is mono. Sounds better than nothing...

Yeah, I could get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but what am I supposed to plug into the 1/4" side then... and which outs am I supposed to use from the mixer (ST-OUT or REC-OUT)? Am I going to need multiple cords and adapters if I plan to use my current audigy card?

You can use either the ST-Out or REC-Out jacks, but the ST-Outs are better because they're balanced and you can control the output level using the master fader.

To use you're existing soundcard, just use 2 ordinary cables with 1/4" plugs out of ST-Out, and get a couple of 1/4" to 1/8" jacks for the other ends, and a 1/8" 'Y' socket into your line in.

If you do get the audiophile, you can go straight from the REC-Outs to the audiophile ins with RCA cables

Back