Get more sound out of a mic

When ever I record something that isn't extremely loud (like my guitar amp is) I get incredibly low Db levels. aside from buying a better preamp what is the best way of compensating for this, in the past I have brought it into adobe sound booth and raised the Db level, turned the rest of the mix down and raising it all in the mastering stage, and applying a compressor and cranking the gain.

in the past I have brought it into adobe sound booth and raised the Db level, turned the rest of the mix down and raising it all in the mastering stage, and applying a compressor and cranking the gain.

If the signal is hot enough that noise isn't an issue, just go about your business. It doesn't need to be loud....it just needs to be loud enough.

The idea of bring the rest of the mix down is bang on. Raising the overall level later is bang on too. :)
I'd say you're on this already.

Just to be clear, define "low db level". It might not be low at all, but we 'll never know without some kind of measurement. In fact, unless you're peaking at something ridiculous like -50db, there really is no such thing as too low. If you're peaking at -6db, -10db, -12db, or even -15db, that's fine. Just turn up your monitors and worry about getting a good mix. You can worry about overall volume in the mastering stage.

Back