Get A Tan From Standing In The English Rain---JJ Is The Eggman.......er, Egghead

Sounds good dude. The overall blend is pretty good IMO.

I am hearing a little distortion on the vocals. It is really evident at 2:54. Was this a desired effect? Is it clipping?

This was the second song I ever recorded with a DAW, (Feb 2014) and the vocal is actually the writing track. So there are a couple of spots that are sort of iffy, but I never could sing it better in terms of the odd dry and sort of nasally sound resulting from just sitting there with a handheld Samson Q7. At that time I had two channels of Saffire 6, and two mics and was just sort of figuring it out as I went along. So I basically redid everything except the piano and slide guitar, and DI acoustic and vocal from the writing part, it is what it is.......

Sounds really good! I'm not usually a fan of guitar DI, but it fits well here. The DI track does sound a little over-bright, though. I'd tweak the EQ a little to tame that high end; I think it'd still cut through the mix pretty well.

Pretty cool song. Has potential. Not a fan of the DI acoustic. very thin and tinny. If its all you have to work with, then I would play with EQ on it and see if you can breathe some real life into it. Do you have the master bus compressed? Something is pumping.

Overall well performed.

One thing that struck me was that the vocal sounds like it's in a different space from the rest of the tracks. The vocal has a really hyped high end. It distorts in spots too.

I thought the DI'd acoustic gave the mix a brittle feel.

Something strange with the vocal at around 1:47 - on the word "success." Or something going on in the background that makes the vocal seem weird.

Electric guitars sound good to me.

Drums overall sound good to me. But the cymbals get covered by the acoustic guitar.

Since I was channeling Mr. Harrison on the slide, and it is sort of Beatle-y/Oasis, I was making an oblique reference.....smile....

I am definitely in agreement on the acoustic guitar, unfortunately neither one in my possession sounds very good on microphone, but I have a person I record now and then who has a '68 Martin D-28 which sounds amazing and when he brings that over sometime I will replace it. I have tried various EQ on the voice, unfortunately this performance has all the nuance and expression that subsequent attempts seem to lack. But it was recorded on an inexpensive dynamic that I just held while I wrote the song line by line, and it has already been brightened to the point of annoyance. Someday maybe I will be in the mood for singing it, no hurries on either account, it is just another song after all....

No, don't brighten the vocal. It's too dark. Put a highpass on it and then cut some low mids.

Back