get 24/96 on HD24 via Masterlnk?

tedmuse

I guess this is a very, very stupid newbie question but:

I read somewhere that to get 24/96 out of the HD24 I would need an external converter that does 24/96.

Can my Masterlink serve as the external 24/96 converter to get 24/96 out of one of these HD24's without going thru ADAT connectors, which is the path indicated in the lit. about the 24?

I know, if possible, it would only be two stereos tracks at a time thru the Link.

I do not have any ADAT capability.

Then I would go back to the Link-24/96 setting- when my 24 project is finished and master it and burn redbook CD's or whatever on the Link.

Does this plan have any merit?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks....................Ted

It won't work! No ADAT optical outputs on the Masterlink....:(

You COULD buy something that would work inbetween I suppose, like a device that has AES/EBU in and ADAT optical out. But you would need to be assured that the unit passes 24/96, and that all the clocks are working well together (you would probably need a master clock to make it all fly well....)

I doubt that in a home recording environment that you will hear ANY difference between 48KHz and 96KHz recordings. Just use the converters on the HD 24 and be happy!

Ed

Ed

Sonusman:

Thanks for your reply.

I've been so impressed by the quality of my Masterlink live=to 2=track recordings that I figured it was due to the "96" feature. So. i wanted to dupicate this in a multitrack setting.

Any opinions on the Akai DPS 16-it's the only recorder in it's price class that records 24/96. They are being blown out at various outlets right now.

Then again, if the HD 24 is as easy to use as the Link, it is very tempting.

Ted

I can remember the first time that I heard CD and that was one of the first Philips units, this was ( i think ) 12 bit oversampled that gave the audio equivalent of 14+ bits. I thought that this was as good as it could get, now we have 24 bit at 48k or 96k and I will be honest and say there is no way I can hear a diff.

24/48 it as good as you need anymore is for the sales guys! or for the pepes that have ears like golden gonnads "Ho-Ho"

We lost Spike Milligan 2 days ago truly one of the 20th century,s comic genius's best of luck mate wherever you ended up.

Back