"George L." cables anyone?

Wil Davis

One of my band members raves about "George L." cables, and I was suspicious, thinking that any non-soldered connection would never be as good as one which was soldered, but my curiousity was aroused and I ordered some cable, and an assortment of ends, and I must admit that they are well made, and are very easy to assemble (taking great care to make a clean cut so that there are no wisps of the braid left hanging). As to the electrical characteristics - well, I don't want to open a can of worms, but the cable is said to be low-capacitance, but I don't know how much this would affect signals at audio-frequency. As to whether or not the difference is noticable - another can or worms! BUT, I must say it's neat being able to do a repair without the need of a soldering-iron. Comments anyone?

- Wil

I have not tried them yet my self but I have heard "raves" about the George L line. Both from home and pro recording and for live use. The customizability (for length and connection types) is a big benefit for custom studio stuff. Also rated high in Bass Player Magazine for quality.

I tried those cables one time..I definitely heard a difference in sound. To my ears, they were very open and responsive, every nuiance in my playing was brought out, which for me was not a good thing. I was not a very good guitar player so my poor technique and crappy guitar was not a good combination. Today, I would give them a try, maybe I've improved on my playing.

Back