generic vocal comp settings?

floppsybunny

can someone recommend standard-ish threshold, ratio and volume settings for a basic vocal compressor - i've got a new dual reverb/compressor unit i'm running live vocals through with a not-great-but-decent quality digital compressor and want compression to blend two vocals (male and female) without having to eq too much and without sucking too much of the life out of it...

any ideas?

thanks!

That's like asking for a standard-ish pair of shoes that will fit most people. Your best bet is to read and learn all that you can about the way compressors work and then experiment with different settings.

floppsybunny said:
...(male and female) without having to eq too much and without sucking too much of the life out of it...
Live.. (Just general.)
Very low ratio (2:1) goes a long way, watch out for too quick attack, or too deep.

Maybe dbx in auto mode if your struggling with it.

How much does having the compression in the fold back monitors fight the performers to learn how to blend?

ha ha mixsit, dead right, i'm running into problems especially when either voice changes registers, difficult to keep the volume under control then. but yeah, also the root of the larger problem is that the performances aren't really worthy of simon and garfunkel.

thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Back