General MIDI hookup question...

bmorris

Sorry for the double posting but I mistakenly posted this in the wrong site area...

I have a host of equipment that I would like to take advantage of but as it stands, I currently have to sacrifice certain things depending on which gear I am using for a certain project. I have a number of devices being controlled by my centralized sequencer, MPC2000XL. What I am trying to figure out is, granted that the MPC only allows 2 ins and 2 outs for MIDI, how can I control more than two devices? My current setup is listed below.

MIDI loop (out to in/In to out) between MPC and Roland Fantom S. Out of MPC to IN of Proteus 2500 sound module. I have one in available on the MPC but I would like to control everything from the MPC. I still have thru available on both the Roland and the Proteus.

My inquiry is concerning the addition of more gear. I just purchased a Yamaha Motif ES and want to incorporate all of these pieces concurrently. I am currently running all audio through an AKAI DPS16 multitracker/mixer. I can not figure out what setup will enable me to use all pieces in one production if that need arose. Is this possible and if so, how? How do I make use of my thrus? Sorry so many questions but I have been stuck on this for quite a while. I am summoning the spirits of all the MIDI gurus to get me on track Thanks in advance for any and all assistance in this matter.

Brian

bmorris said:
How do I make use of my thrus?
Connect a MIDI OUT of the MPC to the MIDI IN on one piece of gear. Then connect the MIDI THRU of that first piece of gear to the MIDI IN of another box. Connect the MIDI THRU from that box to another box. You can usually "daisy chain" three boxes on one MIDI OUT in this manner. With two OUTs on the MPC, you should be able to control 6 modules. If you need more than that, you should look at a MIDI patchbay.

Don

Back