General Inquiry: Moniters

muskgrave

Hello Everyone,

I was just curious as to what the difference is between a studio moniter and a standard hi-fi stereo speaker? The ones I've seen usually look pretty standard..do they support a wider range of frequencies? Just something I was wondering..I'm sure someone can give me a great explanation :).

dlv

The quick answer is, studio monitors are "FLAT" and true, Hi-Fi speakers are hyped and color the sound. Do some searches in this forum - there's a lot of good info already in there.

Seanmorse79 said:
The quick answer is, studio monitors are "FLAT" and true, Hi-Fi speakers are hyped and color the sound. Do some searches in this forum - there's a lot of good info already in there.
Actually, that's not quite so........

The real difference is in the design of the intended listening distance...nearfields are designed to be listened to in the "nearfield" - about 4-5 feet.... HiFi speakers are designed for listening distances beyond 6-7 feet.

How accurate/uncolored they are is related more to the design and generally has a direct correlation with price.... ie, the more expensive the monitor is, the more accurate and unhyped they tend to be....

But the room makes a huge difference as well -- great speakers in a bad room will sound like crap.......

Except for listening distance, there are more similarities between high-end (audiophile) speakers and good monitors.

At the lo-end of the budget scale, there could be radical differences all pretty much related to how much design was compromised for selling price....

Back