General Ideas for Recording Setup

Tharin2002

Hey all, I just wanted to get some input on some different routes I could go for a project I have. I am setting up a youth center in my town and as my main contribution to the youth center I will be setting up a recording studio for all the local bands and what not that want to get their stuff recorded for a good price. We are working through a non-profit organization and the city's youth committee so funds are there, I'd like to keep the whole thing under 20 grand at list prices right now though. I havn't got a really good look at the place they want to set us up yet so I don't know how much work the actual rooms are going to need as far as acoustical treatment so I'm not going to worry about that yet, right now I just need to get a preliminary listing of equipment the studio will need to present to them. I'm looking for something all digital, I'm quite the computer guru so building my own system is a definite possibility, or an all-in-one digital mixer may work also. I'm looking at probably 16 tracks of simulataneous recording with full automation and DSP. I've worked almost exclusively with live bands so my experience with MIDI is very limited, so I don't know what to do there, but as this is going to be open for everyone I'm sure I better learn it. I've got a pretty good idea of what I need as far as mic's and effects, I would just like to get some ideas for the signal chain as far as pre's to cd. Some routes I've already considered are the Pro-Tools Control24 setup and the Mackie 24*8 is something I've done alittle looking into. I don't know whether I want to use the pre's on those control boards or get seperate. I really would like a good HUI with at least 8 channels of automation though, would make my life alot easier. I'm not the most coordinated of people ;) I'd also really like to keep everything pretty simple, without getting to many things in the signal chain that can induce noise. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Back