Genelec 8020 v. Q acoustics 3030i & Marantz PM6006

mdkmdkm

Hi all,

I'd like some advice on this.
I'm moving into a new place (95 square meters) and the whole place is pretty much open plan. There is however a kind of defined open space which we will use as living room and office space, roughly, 45 square meters.
Im looking at my options for living room speakers (record player, occassionally cdjs) at a budget around 700eur. The amount for the Q-acoustics 3030i and the marantz ampli that i was thinking initially as an option, equals pretty much a pair of genelec 8020s.

I know the genelecs are of superior clarity but I'm wondering if the because of the size of the room it is still a wise choice as they are near field monitors principally.
I also produce and mix music for which I have a pair of JBL-LSR305 which will be in the office-side of the room used for mixing but I'm thinking that with the genelecs I will also get a pair of studio monitors that i can cross-reference with or switch the two anytime i want.

Any ideas with people having tried the genelecs 8020d on a bigger space?

Studio monitors, in general, are not the best for 'living room'' speakers. Typical home stereo speakers accent the lows and highs, because those are usually the problem areas in standard living rooms - big furniture absorbing around lows and highs, and uncontrolled reflections. They cut the mids so that the sound doesn't get muddy from all those reflections. Genelecs are, of course, a well-known monitor manufacturer, but these little 4" speakers I doubt are what you really want. Their low end freq is listed as 62Hz +/- 2.5 (those JBLs you are using show as down to 49Hz - newest model, or 47Hz for the older one). Besides - near-field monitors are not designed to push sound out big distances.

Hi all,

I'd like some advice on this.
I'm moving into a new place (95 square meters) and the whole place is pretty much open plan. There is however a kind of defined open space which we will use as living room and office space, roughly, 45 square meters.
Im looking at my options for living room speakers (record player, occassionally cdjs) at a budget around 700eur. The amount for the Q-acoustics 3030i and the marantz ampli that i was thinking initially as an option, equals pretty much a pair of genelec 8020s.

I know the genelecs are of superior clarity but I'm wondering if the because of the size of the room it is still a wise choice as they are near field monitors principally.
I also produce and mix music for which I have a pair of JBL-LSR305 which will be in the office-side of the room used for mixing but I'm thinking that with the genelecs I will also get a pair of studio monitors that i can cross-reference with or switch the two anytime i want.

Any ideas with people having tried the genelecs 8020d on a bigger space?

They won't work. They aren't made for bigger spaces.

Back