Gear you purchased that were disappointments

presobus tubepre

dbx 166

mackie 12-channel pos, can't remember the # but pre's sounded like listening to a seashell

boss me-30

blackheart

Thing is, I found some use or other for all of them, none of them gathered too much dust, and i sold them all at 60-80% of what I paid on ebay.

Except the blackheart, still have it. Don't like it, but it'll have to do until I can afford something better. My priority right now if a decent bass, HATE my Ibanez sdgr. Add that to the list.

Anything AVID/DIGI made...What a bunch of crap for the price and outdated everything. For the cost there is much better. Still have a digi002 going to a apogee rosetta with a lunchbox of APIs and a Great River but I think the digi002 is just useless at this point and needs to be sold.

BBE Sonic maximizer. Bought it, used it for two days and got rid of it. Useless piece of hardware.

Purple Action compressor. I bought into all the hype and got one. Fussy little box that I could never get to sound great. Compression sounded pinched and grainy. Glorified distortion box was all it was. Jettisoned that one pretty quick too.

Hybrid guitar amps with 12AX7's in the pre-amp end. I've had two- one was an ART Attack Module 2-10, can't recall the other. Sounded better than all-SS amps from the same era, but after a while, my ears got educated and they were dissapointing. Because of those experiences, I just can not bring myself to even listen to the Vox hybrids out now. I know they have the 12AX7 on the power side, but I just can't bring myself to believe, even long enough to play one of those amps in the store. I'd probably like it, buy one, and 3 months later be dissapointed. No, thanks.

Oh, and all this happened BEFORE I got my first attenuator and found out what REAL power-tube overdrive sounded like.

Back