Gear advice desperately needed

Bobsleigh

I'm a bit of a newbie:-) (and a broke student). I desperately need some gear recommendations/tips for my planned BUDGET setup. I use it for HD recording, ACID, Cakewalk and so on. Here goes:

- Is there any point in using a SB LIVE! card? If so, will I benefit at all from buying the Platinum version if i have a standalone mixer?

- Do i need a 7200 rpm HD?

- Is a Celeron 600 sufficient? If not, Athlon or PIII?

- How important is the choice of other entities, like cd-rom, mainboard, graphics adapter?

Thanks in advance!

All of the answers depend on how much of a budget you are on and what your recording needs are.

If you're on a really tight budget, a SB LIVE! card will probably do OK. Personally, I prefer Turtle Beach cards because I've always had the impression that they concentrate on sound quality more. (I admit it's not a scientifically arrived-at impression. I never really compared them.) But SB Live! is more of a defacto standard. There's an article right here on this site that discusses how an inexpensive sound card can actually be OK. Here: http://www.homerecording.com/digital_results.html. Also, consider how many tracks you might want to record at once. I think the SB Live! can probably only record two at once.

You don't necessarily need a 7200RPM hard drive. I think a lot of people will tell you that they use a 5400 RPM drive. But it depends on how many tracks you want to be able to play and record at once. I couldn't give you an equation relating disk speed and the number of tracks because there are several factors involved. Any one might be the bottleneck. The number of track might depend on CPU speed, efficiency of the software, disk speed, or other small things. Also, 7200 RPM may not mean much if the particular disk doesn't have a fast data transfer speed. I've seen a comparison where a 5400 RPM disk was just as fast as a 7200 RPM disk because the 7200 RPM disk had a slow interface. Even though it was reading the data off the disk faster, it couldn't deliver it to the CPU any faster. In addition, you don't need to have a SCSI drive. SCSI is better, but more expensive. EIDE is fine. Me, I use a 7200 RPM EIDE drive.

I think a 600 MHz Celeron should be OK. I use a 450 MHz PII and it works great. But again, it depends what you want to do. More CPU power will let you use more or better plug-ins like reverb, compression, and EQ. One thing you want to consider is the floating-point performance of the CPU since recording applications usually use floating-point to do calculations. Since Intel CPUs have always had better floating-point performance, I've always recommended them. But there's an article over at ProRec now that indicates that may not be the case anymore. See: http://prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/FA57D6CCC4004959862568EA001CAE54. So you may be able to save some money by going with another brand. This article may also give you some idea of what a particular computer can handle in terms of number of tracks and plug-ins.

I don't think the CD-ROM is critical. You can get a CD-RW for around $150 I think. I haven't priced them lately. I bought a Yamaha 4x4x16 CR-RW for $189 about half a year ago and it's fine. I'd definitely get a CD-RW as opposed to a CD-R. It's worth it. In fact, I don't know if they even sell plain old CD-R drives anymore.

Regarding video cards, if you have a choice between PCI and AGP interface, get the AGP. This will take some of the load off your PCI bus and leave more room for audio data.

I don't know about motherboards, someone else will have to answer that. I usually buy and recommend Dell computers. But if you're on a budget you can probably save money by getting something else.

In general, playing the budget-balancing game might be tough. You could save $100 by getting a slower computer and put that $100 toward getting a better sound card than SB Live! That would be a good choice if sound quality were more important to you than a ton of tracks or plug-ins. If plug-ins are important to you but lots of tracks are not, then you might save $50 on the disk and put it towards a faster CPU. If you do other things with your computer besides recording, then that might be a reason to devote more money to the computer.

Thanks Jim!

REALLY appreciate your answer.

I generally only lay down one track at a time, so that shouldn't be a problem. Since Turtle Beach cards are generally hard to come by in my parts, that also speaks for the SB Live. It's just me, my guitar, an organ and boxes of various colors and sizes...I also use a lot of soft synths.

Only really negative thing I've heard about the SB live is that the Hz rate is fixed at 48000...that might be a bit of a nuisance.

My budget is about 1200$ for the whole PC. But since I live in Norway, I guess things are a bit more pricey than in the States...

I know that the AMD K6-2 is better.
and it adjust very well the low budget; I´m gonna buy one for my self, cause I prefer more RAM memory than other thing, with my budget. this computer and the delta 44 or 66 sound card, I think is gonna be great!
theres a mother board of the AMD K6-2 without modem and video card, is the 550 MHZ, use it just for pure audio!!!
buy the 8M video card appart.

The K6-2 is only better with business applications. You will be disappointed when you try to use it for DSP. Do some research and stick with a Celeron which will run you about the same price.

Slackmaster 2000

Don't go for a Dell - Roll your own. The link in this post https://homerecording.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001073.html (which you've probably already read) contains really good tips on what to get to build a DAW from scratch. The setup recommended there is exactly what I should have gotten if I was sane enough to stick with the tried and proven.

I'm pretty sure that you can find a cheap 24/96 "few I/O" card if you check the on-line musical stores. Everyone demands 8 I/O nowadays (for some odd reason) so the cards with fewer I/O should start dropping in price.

Lykke til

/Ola

Back