Gay Boy - Greg_L original awesomeness

The lyrics are great. I don't see what's not to get. You accept gays lifestyle, and have gay friends, but you don't want to partake in gay sex.
You don't want to beat them or join them. :D

It's a very well written lyric IMO

Man gerg this tune flat out rocks. Johnny Ramone couldn't have written a better guitar part! The whole thing is engineered and mixed fantastically to my ears.

It's a marriage of great music and a great lyric that is fun to listen too.
No easy feat.
I love it...congrats

Pretty solid. No nits from me.

your usual excellence except ..... you usually have an awesome bass sound. On this the bass is almost missing in action ..... what's up with that?

But otherwise it's the excellent writing/singing/playing I've come to expect from you.

Thanks a lot guys.

I agree the bass is not very good. It sounds.....sort of empty. I hear the bass, it's there, it's just not good. I knew when I tracked it that it wasn't great, but ran with it anyway. I'm gonna re-string the bass and re-do it later.

I hear what you're saying about the bass, there's a slight dullness to the tone. They playing sounds cool to me though and whether I'd have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out previously is open to debate. The double-strike notes on the solo are really cool too, and some of the lyrics raised a smile - the first song ever to rhyme 'pedicure' and 'my back door'? :D

Thanks a lot guys.

I agree the bass is not very good. It sounds.....sort of empty. I hear the bass, it's there, it's just not good. I knew when I tracked it that it wasn't great, but ran with it anyway. I'm gonna re-string the bass and re-do it later.

Hey, Greg - do you DI bass, mic it, or both? I tried miking for a while, but got really indifferent results. DI works better for me.

I hear what you're saying about the bass, there's a slight dullness to the tone. They playing sounds cool to me though and whether I'd have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out previously is open to debate. The double-strike notes on the solo are really cool too, and some of the lyrics raised a smile - the first song ever to rhyme 'pedicure' and 'my back door'? :D
Lol. Thanks a lot. Yes, I break new ground with every song. See? There's still stuff to achieve with 3-chord rock and roll! :D
Hey, Greg - do you DI bass, mic it, or both? I tried miking for a while, but got really indifferent results. DI works better for me.
I mic a bass rig. This is an Orange Bass Terror with an SWR 4x10 cab. Mic'd with a good ol 57 like it's a guitar cab. I always mic em that way. Any problem with this bass track is completely string related. I simply need to re-string the damn thing.

This is catchy. I keep on singing the chorus, "cause you're a gay boyyyyyyyyyy" out loud. You're going to get me in trouble, Greg!

:cursing:

I mic a bass rig. This is an Orange Bass Terror with an SWR 4x10 cab. Mic'd with a good ol 57 like it's a guitar cab. I always mic em that way. Any problem with this bass track is completely string related. I simply need to re-string the damn thing.
yeah, your bass sound is always excellent. That's why this stood out to me.

LOL I feel like I have said all these things in conversations with friends before. Overall this song has a very fun energy! :thumbs up:

This is catchy. I keep on singing the chorus, "cause you're a gay boyyyyyyyyyy" out loud. You're going to get me in trouble, Greg!

:cursing:
Trouble with who? Tell em Greg says it's okay and they need to get over it. :)

yeah, your bass sound is always excellent. That's why this stood out to me.
Yup, I do always get a good bass sound.....so much so that I really don't even think about it. I take it for granted and it got me this time. I could probably EQ this one to be better in the midrange and just let it go, but I am gonna redo it.

LOL I feel like I have said all these things in conversations with friends before. Overall this song has a very fun energy! :thumbs up:
Cool, thanks. :D

As soon as I watched that thing I googled 'was Nat King Cole gay?'. The answer seems to be no, but I got this on Songfacts:

"This song was written by Eden Ahbez, one of the strangest songwriters of the pre-Hippie era. He was a beatnik poet, but more accurately a proto-Hippie, choosing to wear long hair, a full beard and long, white, flowing garments that promoted a Christ-like appearance. He lived in Griffith Park in Los Angeles and ate fruit, vegetables and nuts. Ahbez was born in Brooklyn in 1908, and he claimed to have been raised in an orphanage and to have crossed the US on foot 8 times before age 35. He moved to Los Angeles in the '40s, lived on 3 dollars a week, and lectured on Hollywood street corners about Oriental mysticism.

"Ahbez implored Nat King Cole's manager to look at his manuscript of "Nature Boy." Cole recognized the Yiddish melody, liked the lyrics and added it to his act. It was well received so Cole decided to record it. One problem: Cole and Capitol Records could not find Ahbez in order to secure the publishing rights. Finally they located Ahbez, camped beneath the first L in the "Hollywood" sign.

"Nat King Cole recorded one other Ahbez song - "Land of Love." Ahbez released his own album in 1960 called Eden's Island. He spent time with Brian Wilson before The Beach Boys recorded Pet Sounds. Ahbez, his wife, Anna, and their son Zoma lived in Griffith Park with their bicycle, sleeping bags and a juicer. With their unusual lifestyle, the family became legendary.

"According to his friend Joe Romersa, Ahbez wanted to correct the last lyric. He decided that "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return," was not really what he wanted to say, since to be loved in return is too much of a deal and has nothing to do with love. Ahbez said that the last line should be, "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love, just to love, and be loved." (thanks, Garry - Anchorage, AK, for all above)
Paul McCartney told Mojo magazine October 2008 that "since I was a kid I'd always loved the melody and words of that song." He added: "The writer is one of these guys who came and went, a little bit of a hippy in his day. He wrote this rather strange little song when you look at the lyrics - it's rather gay! In a nice way."

"This was the first song Nat King Cole recorded where he was credited as a solo artist. His previous recordings were as the King Cole Trio, where he was the piano player and lead vocalist. On "Nature Boy," he didn't play the piano, which to this point was considered his strong suit. It marked a turning point for Cole, who became known for vocal talents on songs with orchestral arrangements; his next two hits were in this style: "Mona Lisa" and "Too Young." Before Capitol Records signed Frank Sinatra, Cole was their biggest star."

Like it says: 'Rather gay. In a nice way.' The first time I heard that tune was when I was a very little kid. It disturbed me then. Not so much now. But I hold you responsible, for reminding me of it. :D

haha nice. I like that even though the lyrics / song concept are somewhat of a joke/ironic kind of thing you took the musical side of the track serious. Really clean mix, everything is concise. Excellent playing on the guitar / bass.
If I was to do something differently I'd bring the snare out a little more in the mix, and make the tom spread panned out a little wider and bump their rear end...err I mean boost the low end on them.

Hey Greg -

I'm imagining this as the soundtrack to some sensitivity training video for work or the military or something...I guess that wouldn't work.

Not too crazy about this lyrics this time around, but some of them are quite funny. My wife thought I was gay shortly after getting to know me. I guess because I was thin and neat and I didn't immediately try to have sex with her (kind of vain of her actually?).

Anyway, the mix sounds awesome. I actually thought the bass sounded ok, especially where the guitars drop out in places and it is featured more prominently. I guess you and some others aren't happy with the tone though, so I guess it could still be better.

One thing that I thought sounded particularly cool (it's a small thing) is at the end of the guitar solo, after you resume singing, the guitar notes continue in what sounds almost like volume swells or some different technique, but the volume remains the same....it's just a strange quality to the notes there. Do you remember how you did that? Thanks.

haha nice. I like that even though the lyrics / song concept are somewhat of a joke/ironic kind of thing you took the musical side of the track serious. Really clean mix, everything is concise. Excellent playing on the guitar / bass.
If I was to do something differently I'd bring the snare out a little more in the mix, and make the tom spread panned out a little wider and bump their rear end...err I mean boost the low end on them.
Ok noted. Thanks a lot for checking it out. :)

Hey Greg -

I'm imagining this as the soundtrack to some sensitivity training video for work or the military or something...I guess that wouldn't work.

Not too crazy about this lyrics this time around, but some of them are quite funny. My wife thought I was gay shortly after getting to know me. I guess because I was thin and neat and I didn't immediately try to have sex with her (kind of vain of her actually?).

Anyway, the mix sounds awesome. I actually thought the bass sounded ok, especially where the guitars drop out in places and it is featured more prominently. I guess you and some others aren't happy with the tone though, so I guess it could still be better.

One thing that I thought sounded particularly cool (it's a small thing) is at the end of the guitar solo, after you resume singing, the guitar notes continue in what sounds almost like volume swells or some different technique, but the volume remains the same....it's just a strange quality to the notes there. Do you remember how you did that? Thanks.

Thanks a lot heat. I appreciate the comments. Isn't it weird how women are sometimes? You try to be a gentleman and not blow a load across their face and they turn it into you being gay or take it as some hit to their self-esteem. Fuck, maybe gay people have figured out something us heteros haven't. I'm not totally unhappy with the bass, but I know I've done better, I can do better, and it will be fixed. I'd rather re-track than EQ it since it's easy enough to play. I'm actually glad you noticed that part of the lead because I think it's maybe the coolest part of the whole song. Lol. That sound was achieved by fretting the notes without picking and letting the natural loudness of my Marshall combine with the sustain of my Les Paul into a soaring tonal feedback. It originally happened by accident. I got to that part of the lead and didn't know what to do. So as I was fumbling with notes to see what to do next, I was just tapping on them with my fretting fingers and it would bleed into this bad ass feedback. That was it. It sounded cool so I left it. I'll post up just the lead. It's awesome. :D

wait ........ they don't like that?

Well hell ...... that explains some things.

They like it, they just gotta be ready for it. You can't just blow a rope across their face anytime you feel like it. :(

Here's the lead in all it's sloppiness if you wanna hear the cool feedback part. :D

Back