gating drums

Apple

I've recently gave up using a drum machine and am attempting recording drums. I have several consumer compressors with gates or expanders and I'm not having a whole lot of success getting the mics placed and/or the gates adjusted properly. I'm trying to gate the snare, bass, and 3 toms but each gate opens anytime any drum is struck. Am I expecting too much from these consumer compressor/gates? Or do I need to continue experimenting with the settings. Otherwise, the recordings I'm making sound fine. Separation is ok, but you can hear the other drums on each track. Which could lead to problems when trying to add effects to just one drum during mixdown. I have a nice board, nice microphones and a nice 24 track recorder, and I want to improve my recordings.

Personally, I don't like to gate drums but that's neither here nor there. If you put triggers on the drum shells and send that to the side chain inputs of your gates they'll open when you want them to. You can make your own triggers out of piezo buzzers (you can pick them up at Rat Shack).

track rat do you know

what the part number for those buzzers are? I saw a post about this on another thread and i can't find it for the life of me.

Can't remember

I can't remember the part number, but get the 2 wire variety (they hav a 3 wire) that is about 3/4 to 1 inch diameter. The micro buzzers (real small) may not have enough surface area to trigger well.
In bulk the were under $1.50 each, so they aren't going to break the bank.

try increasing the threshold setting on your gate , If that doesn't work try reducing the input gain between the two you should get get your gate to work

Back