gates

bunnyfunk

during our practices, we are having trouble with the lead and back up mics picking up all the other instruments. This is causing us a problem with volume, my guitar tone being colored, and not being able to put effects on the vocals without all the the instruments being effscted as well. I was thinking that we could put some sort of noise gate on the mics, so that they would only pick up the vocals, but I am not to familiar with this. All that I have seen in our price range are compressor/gates, one in particular that is cheap is made by nady. will this solve our problem? How do I use it? Are there any other ways to solve this, keeping in mind that we have tried repostioning the mics with no success. Thank you for any advice.

A gate is not the answer. What woould wind up happening is when you set the gate to not have the guitars coming through the mics when you are not singing, the moment you start to sing, the guitars would be picked up again. Rather than having that colored sound all the time, it would come in and out with the vocals. That would probably be more annoying than what you are dealing with currently.

My best suggestion would be to move the vocal mics further away from the amps and such. This would give the mics a lot less opportunity to pick up the background noises.

How ever, you may have a space problem limiting the ability to get far enough away. If this happens to be the case, then your only other opption would be to turn down. It appers from your other post that loudness might be an issue.

I hope this helps
Joe

Ed would be proud JC ;)

hehehehe JC . . . . Ed the Sonusman would be proud of you basically telling bunny to "let the PA do the work."

Good rule really.

--Tax :D

What mics are you using for vocals?.

You might have sucsses with the use of bariers.
They look like a mini wall the height of a waist . The ones I use have weels on them and can be moved
around. You could probably build them yourself but John Sayer would be the man to tell you how and with what material.

Back