GAS equation: How much do you spend on food?

CyanJaguar

How much do you spend on food per day? And how much gear would you be able to buy per month if you cut your food bill in half?

The guys I work with, no lies, spend $25-$30/ day in food. That is almost $1000/month with nothing to show for it at the end. And they are single.

If you are one of those guys, simply cutting you food bill in half or 1/3 will save you $400-600 every month. Think how much Gear you can buy then.

A giant (and I mean giant) sandwich around 4pm made of deli meat and cheese and whatever jumbo size bread the store has, and a few cokes during the day and a piece of fruit before bed.

I never figured how much it costs.

$10?

CyanJaguar said:
The guys I work with, no lies, spend $25-$30/ day in food. That is almost $1000/month with nothing to show for it at the end.

They're still alive :D

I feed a family of five on about that--well, really six, but one of them eats for free ;)

CyanJaguar said:
The guys I work with, no lies, spend $25-$30/ day in food.

I worked with a guy that would come in at 6am with a Jack In the Box breakfast sandwich, hit up the roach coach for a burrito when it came around at 9, then eat his lunch he brought from home at noon, and then ... well, I don't think he just stopped cause work was over.

Fucker was thin as a rail too. :cool:

I'm guessing about $6 for a weekday for me. My wife and I like to eat out once or twice on the weekends, and I go out for coffee about once a week. So I guess it's about $120 a week to feed the two of us.

About once a month I have been going out with friends for sushi. That meal costs me around $25. That comes out of my "personal" budget, rather than the family food budget, so for that meal I am spending my "gear money" directly on food. It's worth it, though. If I ever become a rich rockstar, I'm going to blow it all on sushi.

Between my fiance and I, about 10 or so a day. Granted, we tend to blow it on dumb stuff like coffee shop drinks and then eat 2 40 cent burritos for dinner. If I had to cut down, I'm sure we could do 5 bucks or less a day. When you like cheap American microwave food, it's pretty easy.

you guys are not bad at all . You definitely have me beat. I allow myself to spend $10/day on food, no more. But I usually keep it around $7-8, $3 of which go directly to diet cokes.

dirtythermos said:
About once a month I have been going out with friends for sushi. That meal costs me around $25. That comes out of my "personal" budget, rather than the family food budget, so for that meal I am spending my "gear money" directly on food. It's worth it, though. If I ever become a rich rockstar, I'm going to blow it all on sushi.

learn to make sushi on your own.... you would be surprised .... its about the cheapest food around ... and very healthy, too ...

I made primo-sushi for 6 persons for like 8 bucks total, and we had a lot of fun making them as well ... (I'm talking about 96 pieces here :D )

those sush-bar guys must make like 800% of margin on their stuff (a little less than Gibson :D )

cheers
alfred

AlfredB said:
learn to make sushi on your own.... you would be surprised .... its about the cheapest food around ... and very healthy, too ...

I made primo-sushi for 6 persons for like 8 bucks total, and we had a lot of fun making them as well ... (I'm talking about 96 pieces here :D )

those sush-bar guys must make like 800% of margin on their stuff (a little less than Gibson :D )

cheers
alfred

Thats all fine and dandy, but then you have to make a mess in your own bathroom when you puke from way to many Saki Bombers.

Seriously!!!

I like this post. I spend about $80-$100 a month on food.... and I eat Well!! I decided to cut down my serving sizes and knocked another $20 of of that!! When I eat out I try to stay to $2-$3 a meal.

Seriously folks, do you really need double patties, a bucket o' fries and a 64 Oz drink? I just get a water or two or three, and one or two value menu items- and you wouldn't believe how filling a kids meal can be!! No wonder the darned kids never finish them!! And we thought they just wanted the toys!!

My program goes like this: bowl of Cereal for Breakfast, 2 Burritos for lunch, and a sensible dinner, and I'm Hypoglycemic!! It works!!

$10 a day = $300 a month!!

It wouldn't be hard at all to cut that by 50% and you'll get an extra $150 per month for gear. Looks like cutting down on our gluttonous livings may help out more than one type of GAS!!

If you've got a family then you've gotta do what you've gotta do, but still there is lots of money to be made by smart shopping.

Maybe we sould start a thread of Cheap Musicians Favorite Recipes. Taste great and can save you some dough to spend on gear!!

or..........

Perhaps there should be some sort of Gear Purchasing card where a percentage of your purchase goes toward some new gear. Kinda like a self-imposed gear tax. You send your wife out to go shopping with your gear card and in a few months you get a new guitar!! That would be great!!

Outlaws said:
Thats all fine and dandy, but then you have to make a mess in your own bathroom when you puke from way to many Saki Bombers.

i served them outdoors .... (southern hemisphere, still summer :D )

... if you need to puke just go behind that tree, wont you?

cheers

gusfinley said:
Perhaps there should be some sort of Gear Purchasing card where a percentage of your purchase goes toward some new gear. Kinda like a self-imposed gear tax. You send your wife out to go shopping with your gear card and in a few months you get a new guitar!! That would be great!!

That sounds like a great idea.

Love your theory...

but it will not work. Why? Well I spend I'd say around a $1000 or more a month on food for the 9 of us. Now let's just say I could cut that down to $800 a month, or even better $700 a month. Sounds great, now I have extra money to go out and buy gear. NO! Think like a woman (or more accurately a wife), that's just more money to pay off the rest of the bills. Happens to me every time I find a dime around here. Pay a bill. My argument, the bills will always be there so why worry, if you get a little extra spend it on something you want, not need. Obviously I'm not too convincing.

Outlaws said:
A giant (and I mean giant) sandwich around 4pm made of deli meat and cheese and whatever jumbo size bread the store has, and a few cokes during the day and a piece of fruit before bed.

I never figured how much it costs.

$10?

outlaws you have to stop making remarks like that as I nearly fell of my chair and the people around me here are not insured for incidents like that so........................

Eddie :)

gusfinley said:
I like this post.

Maybe we sould start a thread of Cheap Musicians Favorite Recipes. Taste great and can save you some dough to spend on gear!!

Yes true the postings are getting better and better, it may be the weather, you see, I have not been around here that long, but springtime seems to bring up some inspiring moments in us.

Okay favourite Cheap Musicians Favourite Recipe time now:

What about a banana for breakfast, and just some water to wash it down.
Lunch could be enjoyed with just a apple and some grapes, the grapes are there to save you on the bottled water.
Dinner could be as swell as some homemade sandwitches with some fried egg, tomato and ham and cheese. You are allowed to wash you mouth from this with freshly made coffee.

Costs? About £2.50 you need to do your own exhange rate I am affraid as I do not know where all of you live ;)

Cheers,

Eddie :)

Back