Garritan Personal Orchestra?

twostone

Any owners of this VSTi plugin? if so,
How do you like it?
How easy is it to use?
Are the samples decent quality?
When installing does the samples load directly into the Aria player?
or do you have to make the stand alone Aria player find the sound sample folder in a directory?
like you do with IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonic.

I down loaded a free trial of IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonic and the sounds where amazing but getting the sound sample library into the stand alone player was a nightmare. It turned out to be a real PITA which led me away from purchasing this particular VSTi symphony plugin. You have to direct the player in the preference window and find the folder to get it to load. It took forever to find the folder and had to re-locate the folder and the tech support is awful slow on responding. Big disappointment IMO because it wasn't a plug in and play type of VSTi like most Vsti plug ins.

I was hoping GPO was more user friendly and was basically plug in and play type of VSTi like my Toontracks EZdrummer was. Very simple and fast and you don't have to use a directory folder for the stand alone player. You just click on it and it loads all the samples in just matter of seconds depending on your computer system, then you good to go.

Just wondering about this particular symphony plugin and how folks liked it?

I use GPO. It's ok. The sounds can be alright, depending on what you are using them for. I find that if I am trying to do a song that is nothing but orchestra, it's usually pretty obviously fake. Also, whenever I try to do any fast runs, it sounds pretty machine like.

loading the samples is very simple. I use the old version (v3) so I don't have the aria player, but I've never heard anyone have any issues with loading the samples.

Here are some songs I've done with GPO to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. You can also visit http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42 to check out songs that other GPO users put out. The quality of songs there is a pretty good indicator of how hard/easy it is to get to sound real.

I have a soft spot for GPO as it was the first vsti that I ever bought back in 2004. I found it loaded really easilly to be honest....and I'm a total dufus when it comes to the technical stuff of computer recording and all the lingo. I also bought Miroslav philharmonik and once they did the update that you didn't have use the dongle every time you wanted to operate it, it was in my opinion the superior athlete. So much so, I sold my GPO back last May.

The sounds can be alright, depending on what you are using them for. I find that if I am trying to do a song that is nothing but orchestra, it's usually pretty obviously fake. Also, whenever I try to do any fast runs, it sounds pretty machine like.

I think Bozmillar is bang on here. I was listening to a track I did a few years back that had some viola plucking and it was like the player was right next to me ! But faster runs or some other instruments....hmm....
There are some good sounds in there. As soon as I used Miroslav though, GPO's days were numbered. That said, it's OK.

Back