Gain problem

greenascanbe

I have an Peavey JSX amp and I've been running into a problem. The gain is the same whether it's on 2 or 10. Can anyone give me a clue about the problem.

THanks

greenascanbe said:
I have an Peavey JSX amp and I've been running into a problem. The gain is the same whether it's on 2 or 10. Can anyone give me a clue about the problem.

THanks
Because this amp is pretty new, the most likely cause of gain loss is power-tube related. If you have the JSX 212 combo it'll either have four EL34 or four 6L6GCs. I understand that this amp is "switchable" to use either. I believe it normally ships with the EL34s. First, have a look to see if it has the EL34s or the 6L6GCs. Whichever of these are installed, make sure the amp is "switched" accordingly. If that's NOT the problem, and you don't have the cash to buy a matched-quad of either of these to go ahead and replace all four of them, go buy one new one.
Now then, using the normal PRECAUTIONS, start swapping them out with the new power-tube until your gain problem goes away. Let us know how it goes. If this doesn't fix it, reply again and let us know exactly which jsx model you have.

Last edited:
I would check the tubes. The JSX has a weird socket that sometimes doesn't hold the tubes firmly in. Try making sure they are in firmly. :)

Back