Gadget Labs Wave/424

Jared

I've checked out this card on their web site after seeing the banner on this site. Does anyone have any experience with this card and would recommend it? For $269.00, it's in the price range that I'm ready for. It comes with Cool Edit Pro also.

If not, would anyone recommend any other card that is in this price range? I am putting together a home digital studio and, after reading about it here, am thinking about the Mackie 12 channel mixer. Thanks!
--
Jared

It comes with the limited version of Cool Edit Pro which limits the number of tracks you can use to 12 or so (forgot...) and you don't get any effects ( with the full version you get 30- or so...) If you have this limited version you can upgrade to the full version for $200...
I was thinking about getting this soundcard but went with the 8*24 because I wanted to record a drumkit...
It does look like a great deal to me but I haven't run into anyone on this BB who has one...
The 8*24 is flawless, though... I dont see why its little bro would be any different...
S8-N

Plus the Gadgetlabs people offer excellent support - very patient with me, and I've been difficult at times.

someone correct me if im wrong , but i believe the wave/424 is an isa card , not pci.. and we all know that isa is slower than pci and is an older technology.. just a thought .. and im pretty sure thats what discouraged me from the card..

- eddie -

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's really a big help. The link for all the info on this card is http://gadgetlabs.com/wave424_frame.htm. It does say that this is a PCI card and not ISA. Someone please educate me here but what gives me the limitation of how many tracks I can record? Is it the recording software? Is there any limitation as to how many tracks I can hear play back? I just don't fully understand the 4 outputs and 4 inputs. After reading the web page I think I understand it to mean that I am just limited to 4 tracks recording at once. I still don't understand the 4 outputs though. I would appreciate some light on this subject please. Thanks for everyone's help here.
--
Jared

Your soundcard shouldn't be the limitation on how many tracks you can record or playback... That would be determined by the speed of your PC and your software...
Your soundcard only limits how many tracks you can record at once...
If the Wave has 4 outs... that doesn't mean you can hear only 4 tracks at playback... that just means you can output 4 tracks to external FX and such...
Your playback will be output on 2 channels... Even if it 64 tracks...

S8-N

your right...its pci.. sorry.. listen to what satan said.. what seperates the 424 from the big boy soundcards is the absence of balanced inputs outputs , but it seems like a solid card..many people are happy with the performance of their gadgetlabs sound cards..

- eddie -

Back