Gadget Labs/Cakewalk stuttering issue

pglewis

I'm in touch with about a dozen 8/24 and Cakewalk users who are still experiencing intermittent stuttering problems even with the latest drivers. Gadget Labs has not been able to reproduce the problem, so it makes it difficult to locate it and fix it.

The problem seems to be only with the particular hardware/software combination. The 8/24 doesn't have this problem with any other program and Cakewalk doesn't have this problem with any other sound-card.

When the stuttering occurs, the CPU meters in Cakewalk suddenly drop to near 0%. Once the stuttering starts, you can re-start Cakewalk or simply goto the Audio Options screen and click 'Ok' without making any changes to fix it (for a while). This is NOT a dropout... I've seen it happen even with low CPU usage, and I've run for hours pushing things at the "Danger, Will Robinson!" level without stuttering.

If any other Cakewalk and 8/24 users are having this problem, please contact me via e-mail. Those of us affected are banding togething, collecting system information, and keeping in close touch with both GL and Cakewalk to resolve the issue.

*slaps pglewis*
I have an 824 and Cakewalk PA9. I haven't had that problem. I haven't used 9 a whole lot yet, but used PA8 quite a bit and only had stops when I overloaded the data. 9 seems to be reacting the same way. Hope you find the problem. Hardware related? I use Win 98. Maybe Win NT would help? Don't really know what to tell you. *slaps forehead*

Believe me, I've been slapping my forehead plenty over this. It's annoying during playback but disasterous during recording. Very few people are having this problem (the symptoms are quite specific). I haven't fully ruled out a hardware conflict, so everything is coming out of the machine tomorrow. We'll get it figured out (famous last words).

Holo: My card installed without a single problem... and I always expect to fight with hardware.

Those with this specific problem report that it does not happen with Vegas, Cubase, N-Track, or anything other than Cakewalk. I'm confident with Gadget's tech folks, and I'm sure they can fix it in a day if they can reproduce it. The difficulty is that most users are running just fine and the glitch is intermittent.

I'm A GL & CWPA9 user as well. The only times I ever experienced a problem this severe was if I tried to play a project that had the GL listed as a track audio output device and I had forgotten to turn on the GL breakout box . . . total meltdown ! Other than this, I've had no problems at all since I fine tuned my buffer settings during initial installation and testing. My guess, though, is that it's a Windows problem. Anytime Windows is confronted with a complicated decision to make it loses control . . . "not responding" "illegal operation" or the dreaded bluescreen of death !! I got WIN2000, but haven't loaded it yet . . . things are running to good in WIN98 to mess with it. When and if I do load it, I'll most likely do the dual boot thing using 2K for recording.

Regards,
PAPicker

For what it's worth, I'm a Cubase user who had a Wave/424 and experienced similar problems. This is after I had a nightmare of a time getting it to even work in the first place, and after I waited months for the insistently promised but ultimately vaporous Win2k drivers. I hope for their (and their customer's) sake they sort this out soon. Good luck,

- hologram -

Well, shouting expletives at the monitor does seem to help.

(oh yeah... I've got that "Alt-P;O;[Enter]" key combo down by now :D.

[This message has been edited by pglewis (edited 07-07-2000).]

getting my 424 to intall to my compaq k62 was one of the most frustrating things i have ever been through.I finally get it installed and the sound quality is great but when recording in cakewalk i do get a sluttering effect

what happens is i'll be playing back maybe 3 or 4 audio tracks and they will become unsynced making it impossible to continue the recording....it seems to have stopped as of lately tho

Back