G5 died?

TerraMortim

I went to boot my G5 for some audio production today and as it booted it shut down (before awaking the monitor). Now, as it is plugged in the white light in the front is lit, but if I press the power button nothing happens. It will not even attempt to boot. Anyone else have this issue? Is it totally fucked where I have to buy a new computer? Fucking PISSED!

I went to boot my G5 for some audio production today and as it booted it shut down (before awaking the monitor). Now, as it is plugged in the white light in the front is lit, but if I press the power button nothing happens. It will not even attempt to boot. Anyone else have this issue? Is it totally fucked where I have to buy a new computer? Fucking PISSED!

Try holding down the power button for ten seconds to force it to truly shut down. Then, hit the power button to turn it on. It might be a fluke, you might have some bad piece of hardware attached that is drawing more power than the power supply can provide, or you might have a dud power supply, CPU, logic board, or an improperly seated front panel board. Oh, yeah, and also try a PMU/SMU reset.

I omly know up to PowerMac G4's, so all I can tell you to do applies to them whether it applies to G5's is beyond me.

Here's some ideas:

reset the PRAM: on my computer you do that by holding down P, R, Command (the Apple key) and Option right after your hear the first chime and hold til you hear the second chime then release.

Open the unit and press the rest button on the motherboard.

Hold down the Option key while you start until you get the screen that shows your hard drive, then click on that.

Put another hard drive in and leave the old one and attempt to install the Mac OS DVD on to that.

Start the thing up while you hold the T key until you get the Target Mode screen and then plug a Firewire cable from it to a working mac and then go into Disk Utility and check the permissions/disc on the broken computer.

Put a voltmeter on the battery on the motherboard and see if it's ok (my Power Mac won't start with a dead battery).

Hold down Command while you start to enter Safe Mode.

Put the Mac OS DVD in the drive and start up while holding the C key down.

Go on line and find the test points for voltages on the power supply to see if that's ok (not as hard as it sounds).

For starters... :eek:

Try holding down the power button for ten seconds to force it to truly shut down. Then, hit the power button to turn it on. It might be a fluke, you might have some bad piece of hardware attached that is drawing more power than the power supply can provide, or you might have a dud power supply, CPU, logic board, or an improperly seated front panel board. Oh, yeah, and also try a PMU/SMU reset.

I'll try a PMU reset. It happened right after I hotswapped a monitor cable from another computer. As soon as I plugged it in the computer immediately shut off, so I'm sure it had to do with that.

I'll try a PMU reset. It happened right after I hotswapped a monitor cable from another computer. As soon as I plugged it in the computer immediately shut off, so I'm sure it had to do with that.

Did the monitor have an ADC connector? If so, hot swapping is probably a bad idea for precisely this reason.

Back