G3 recording

markert

I usually record on a Korg d16, however, I am thinking of buying a used mac g3 for about $800. I don't know much about macs, but I think it is 300mhz. If I bump the ram to 192 meg and throw in a second 7200 rpm drive, how many tracks can I realistically expect to record. If it is less than 16, I might as well stick with the d16. I need 8 analog inputs and was considering the Delta 1010 or the MOTE 2408. Any opinions? What software would be best?

Thanks

Get the digi001 from digidesign. It's down to $800 and it has the 8 analog inputs/outs as well as 8 digital in/outs. The software if comes with is great, it's all most like the protools TDM, the only difference is the 001 has 24 tracks and I think there is one more difference; don't know it.

You might have to up grade your processor speed. Check to make sure at http://www.digi001.com

Go For it

With say an adaptec 2940UW scsi accelerator, and the 7200RPM drive(optimal way to go for maximum number of tracks), and as much RAM as you can get. You should be good to go. I like the MOTU 2408. Your also going to gain alot of editing capabilities with the computer system. Is the Mac a Blue and white tower or a beige desktop ?

T.J.Hooker

Went with the G4

Well guys, thanks for the replies. I went to the used mac shop today and bought a G4 "graphite" instead. $1,050 used. I hope that's a decent deal. Anyway, it has 192 meg ram, 400mhz "sawtooth", one 10 gig 7200 rpm drive, and a 30 day warranty.

Frank: I see that many people recommend the digi001/protools LE. Is it pretty easy to use? I mean, I bought the mac to make life more simple. Also, I would like to use my D16 to send MTC or MMC from the d16 to the mac and be able to dump tracks in synchro to the mac. Can I do this with the digi001?

TJHooker: MOTU looks good too. What software do you recommend with it? Also, do you think I could synch up to the d16 as described above?

Thanks

I think you can hook the Korg because the 001 has 8 digital inputs. And yes it is very easy to use. Every thing is done in 2 screens, mix screen and edit screen.

Go to the web sit and find the free video offer. It shows what the digi001 can do.

You can also download the FREE trial version of protools LE off the site. You can only record 8 tracks and 2 at one time.

Back