G.a.s.

fuzzsniffvoyage

I've paid off some of my prior purchases, and now have some $$ for some new gear. I was thinking of getting a mixer/control surface. Or a new interface and a dedicated control surface. Some new mikes or a new bass or guitar. Maybe some drum gear.

Or up grade my monitors. I currently use the M-Audo BX8a's. Their loud, sound great in my room. But my mixes don't translate well to other systems. (I do not currently use reference source, though I did get a CD player and have it in my system, just haven't use it.)

I've read that ported designs aren't particularly accurate, as the ports boos the bass response.

I don't have the money for Focal's Twin 6BE's ( I could buy 1, ha, ha.) or the SM9's.

I can get any of the Yamaha HS series or the Mackie HR's. Auratones....

Royer 121, Shure KSM 141 stereo pair, Fender Jazz bass, Gibson J45, some decent cymbals, ahhhhhhhhhh Avalon, Neve, Universal Audio, API, SSl........

I'm totally lost and need a plan. I need help.

I've paid off some of my prior purchases, and now have some $$ for some new gear. I was thinking of getting a mixer/control surface. Or a new interface and a dedicated control surface. Some new mikes or a new bass or guitar. Maybe some drum gear.

Or up grade my monitors. I currently use the M-Audo BX8a's. Their loud, sound great in my room. But my mixes don't translate well to other systems. (I do not currently use reference source, though I did get a CD player and have it in my system, just haven't use it.)

I've read that ported designs aren't particularly accurate, as the ports boos the bass response.

I don't have the money for Focal's Twin 6BE's ( I could buy 1, ha, ha.) or the SM9's.

I can get any of the Yamaha HS series or the Mackie HR's. Auratones....

Royer 121, Shure KSM 141 stereo pair, Fender Jazz bass, Gibson J45, some decent cymbals, ahhhhhhhhhh Avalon, Neve, Universal Audio, API, SSl........

I'm totally lost and need a plan. I need help.

I feel your pain Fuzz...I have the same monitors, I got 'em used about 3 years ago, & while they do sound good (to me anyway), I really don't know the difference between these & "good/better" monitors...

I've read that the Yamaha's you mentioned are good, dunno who said it, but "if your mix sounds good on these, it'll sound good on anything", I've heard over & over...No experience with 'em personally though, just what I've heard....

Maybe if you're happy with how your mixes are turning out (I listen to mine on my monitors, headphones (3 different sets), earbuds, a cheap-ass boom box, car stereo, several different sources), maybe get another bass/guitar or some more drum gear....I dunno man....

What do you think is lacking the most in your recording/mixing setup??? If you can answer that question, it'll just about answer your own....

I've not read/looked at your gear really closely, but I do know you've got a nice studio setup dude...I'm sure if we keep bumping this thread, some of the more experienced guys will help you (and me too, eventually I'll be able to get some more gear...)...

I used to use the BX8a's and I enjoyed them; took a lot of referencing in other playback devices to get the mixes sorted out to my liking but they were still nice monitors. But I digress...

One major question that comes to my mind is what is your budget? How far back into debt do you want to go for new gear? After that, I would ask exactly what miner man did: what area do you think is lacking most?

One major question that comes to my mind is what is your budget? How far back into debt do you want to go for new gear? After that, I would ask exactly what miner man did: what area do you think is lacking most?

I have about 2,200 right now, in another month, I'll have about 3,800. I'm lucky enough to have a good paying job, and have extra money. I just might wait until Sweetwater's Gearfest in June to make any more purchases. By then I'll have around $5,000.

What I feel I'm lacking (beside skill) is a good bass gtr. good pencil mikes. good pre amps. control surface (right now I'm using the faders on my Akai MPK49, which work quite well) accurate/alternate monitors.

I've just bought (tonight!) the Yamaha HS5s on the recommendation of a workmate who does professional mixing and recording jobs. He mentioned (after the fact - i.e. after my order went through) that they sound uninspiring. :mad:

What he meant was, they do not lie. :D He did say the HS8s are the pick of the three and that the HS7 fell between two stools and wasn't worth the extra cost over the HS5s.

I shall report back later, once they actually arrive!

I've just bought (tonight!) the Yamaha HS5s on the recommendation of a workmate who does professional mixing and recording jobs. He mentioned (after the fact - i.e. after my order went through) that they sound uninspiring. :mad:

What he meant was, they do not lie. :D He did say the HS8s are the pick of the three and that the HS7 fell between two stools and wasn't worth the extra cost over the HS5s.

I shall report back later, once they actually arrive!

I'm leaning toward the 5's because I don't plan on mixing at high volume levels. Looking forward to hearing your personal review.

Back