FYI - Thinking of getting a Marshall mic - you need to read this!

Beezoboy said:
Harvey,

As far as the LOMO head on the mc012, do you think that configuration could be as versatile as a TLM103? I mean I have heard very good results with the TLM103 on everything like acoustic guitar, vocals, and very nice results from Michael Jones on the piano.

Hard call to make. The MC012 package with the 3 capsules AND a LOMO head would give you the most versatility, but may not work as well as the TLM103 in some circumstances, which is true of any mic recommendations. Kinda like having a box of crayons; when you want a red crayon, pink ain't gonna cut it.

guess I would be afraid to pay so much for a mic that would be a one use mic or limited use mic. I mean a C12 will cost you, but it seems like I have heard of it being used to mic everything.

Just wondering
Beezoboy
Most large diaphragm condenser vocal mics are pretty much one trick ponies; how well they do that one trick is what makes them valuable. By varying the angle and the distance from the vocal mic (any vocal mic), you can make pretty radical adjustments to the final sound. Since I wrote that Oktava/LOMO review, there have been some new products on the market that also have that flavor, IMO. Give a listen to the MXL V67G and some of the Studio Projects mics, like the C1.

Re: LOMO...

memriloc said:
I read somewhare on this board (I think) that the 012's pre just isn't quite powerful enough to get the best outta the LOMO head or some shit.....Anyone?
Yes, that's true, but underpowering it in this case creates an interesting sound. When I started recommending the 012/LOMO combination, Michael Vladimirsky said "why are you recommending this?" "The LOMO is designed for a 70 Volt polarizing voltage, not 48 Volts."

So what are the tradeoffs? It will not take as loud a signal (SPL), it will not have maximum possible output (Sensitivity), it will be a little noisier, and it will possibly distort sooner.

All other things being equal, the larger the diaphragm, the greater the output, and the lower the noise. At 33mm, the LOMO is the largest diaphragm out there, about 1/3 bigger than a 1" diaphragm.

It already has enough output and a low enough noise figure to not worry too much about that. The important thing is that the sound I heard coming out of that combination was wonderful, and I really don't care how mismatched something is - if it sounds great, it is great.

Would upping the voltage make it better? Define "better". It would be louder, yes. It would have lower noise, yes. It would have lower distortion, yes.

Would the tone change, yes. Would it change for the better? I don't know. I don't want the tone to change. I like mine fine, just the way it is.

Is the mc 219 really the same inside as the mc319? Ive read things on this board to the effect that the only difference is the case.

I was thinking that if the grill was removed durring use ( with a pop filter of coarse) it would be sonicly like the 319.

darrin_h2000 said:
Is the mc 219 really the same inside as the mc319? Ive read things on this board to the effect that the only difference is the case.

I was thinking that if the grill was removed durring use ( with a pop filter of course) it would be sonicly like the 319.
The shell contributes greatly to the sound of the microphone. From everything I've heard, the only difference between the 219 and 319 is the case.

992 over 2003?

im looking for a mic that can cut vocals and guitar cabs and my attention has been pointed to this 2 and the v67, wich doy you think will do the job better?

jesusmac said:
im looking for a mic that can cut vocals and guitar cabs and my attention has been pointed to this 2 and the v67, wich doy you think will do the job better?

...another ancient thread brought back from the dead...

...all 3 mics will handle double duty pretty well...the 992 and 2003 have the 10dB switchable attenuation & selectable -10dB low-frequency roll-off, not found on the V67...but the 2003's 3 micron diaphragm makes it a "best choice" of the 3...their all very usable/affordable mics...and if you don't mind straying from the MXL selection, there's always the well-proven Studio Projects B1 (sans switches)...

...but, I'd go for this deal:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/273167/src=01340
...now you're ready to record!...

ok, lets think outside the mxl range

i got this post somewhere else but asked here because you where discussing mxl, now between the 2003 and b1 and that may be my choice
:)

Beware old thread posters!! :mad:

Next person who answers a thread from more than a year ago will unleash "The Curse of the Monkey Claw!" and you will be sterile and impotent for the rest of your life! I swear it!

I'm just the messenger, though, so don't blame me! :cool:

Back