FYI: Dakota support for Sonar v4 new features....

tntkemp

:cool:

I had asked Frontier Design about their support of the new features of Sonar 4. Here's the promising response I recieved:

quote:

Hello Tom,

The Dakota will work fine with Sonar 4. In fact we expect to be posting new drivers VERY soon that will add support for up to 96kHz rates in SMUX mode (ie. 8 ADAT channels total, 4 per port, 16 channels with Montana). We will also add GSIF2 drivers for GigaStudio 3 as well. Check the website in a week or so and hopefully they will be posted.

Best regards

Brian​

I've never been happier about my purchase all of those years ago...what a great product and a great company!

tntkemp said:
:cool: I've never been happier about my purchase all of those years ago...what a great product and a great company!
I couldn't agree more.
Thank you for the heads up'. :cool:
Wayne

hmmm i have never heard of this company before so i checked them out. the dakota looks like a neat piece of hardware. One thing about this company and others similar to it like RME is that most of their products are ADAT based and have no analog I/O. This can be a good thing for many but it is intimidating to some as it takes a bit more know-how to get things going. Basically to record with this card, you would need a preamp with an ADAT out would you not?

They make a product called Tango that has analog ins.... you can connect that, via lightpipe to your computer (ie, their soundcard.)

Overall a pretty good company. Their hardware is very solid. In the past (IMHO) their driver development has been slow, hopefully this reflects a change of pace. To this day, their midi ports are not multiclient.... not what you would expect from products that cost this much $$.

Whenever I have had problems, they have worked hard to solve them :) (with the exception of the $%^&** lack of mutliclient midi ports :confused: )

Take Care

True, you would need converters. I chose to keep my signal in the digital realm for as long as possible. I have two digital mixers from Fostex. They both contain ADAT I/O, for 8 channels of audio, plus their own Pre's and XLR, as well as TRS (1/4") I/O's. I use the Dakota's S/PDIF out to feed by Roland DS-90a digital monitors and I occasionally use the S/PDIF in to feed my BNX3 pedal or my Roland VS840 multitrack recorder into my PC.

I haven't done alot of serious work with the MIDI yet... I occasionally plug in my guitarist's Roland pedals and/or a couple of keyboards to mess with softsynths. Yes, it would be nice to have a multiclient feature, as you suggest....but it hasn't made much difference for me, so far.

I was floored to find out the midi ports weren't multiclient. I used to open my synth editor from within Sonar. Could edit and save the synth patches and see what effect edits were having right as the sequence was playing. Not anymore! :(

In most other respects, IMHO, FD has been a pretty good company however. I also keep my signal digital. I run my synths into Tango and run that right into the Dakota via lightpipe. One A/D conversion.

Take Care

Back