Fx

mojka

Why is it that whenever I add effects to audio files and save a certain pre-set, close the program, open the file again I've lost all my saved pre-set effects. Is this operator error or program limitations. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sonar does not save the "name" of any pre-sets that you use, but it does save the settings. In other words, if you put a reverb on a track and then choose "medium room" as the type of reverb. When you close and reopen the file, it will no longer say "medium room" in the preset name window. However, the reverb settings (density, decay time, etc.) should still be those for medium room.

I have always wished it would save the name as well, so that you could tell what presets you have used. I guess it makes sense that it doesn't though, since if you had adjusted any of the parameters, it wouldn't really be the preset that you chose.

I could be wrong, but Sonar does save the name of the effect presets, it just won't display the name in preset name window. I usually set my effect the way I want. Then I name it so I can find it later (ie. "Song Title" Snare Reverb). Like Dachay stated the settings will remain intact. I save the name in case I want to use that effect again in some other track. It's kind of a pain the way Sonar does it, but Sonar has not been known for its naming conventions when it comes to saving your data. Hopefully, in Sonar 2 they fix this. I heard they fixed the way the your audio data gets named and stored.

Vice

it just won't display the name in preset name window.

That's what I meant, Viceman. I just didn't say it right. :)

You are correct, you can save specific settings as a "preset" and give them your own name. Then you can recall them by that name for use in other projects. However, once you close the effects window and reopen it, the name no longer displays. This is a royal PIA, since you can't tell what preset you used (unless you happen to keep good notes).

Mojka, what are you upgrading from? I believe all of Cakewalk's current programs work the same way.

Back