FX while monitoring?

version2

Is there any way to apply FX from say...amplitube...during monitoring or recording so we dont have to hear a clean guitar sound. DOnt want to record the FX, but I would like to use the distortion, etc while recording.

Do you record with a mixer? Patch the effect into that so that you can hear it through the headphones, but so that it doesn't go to disk.

dobro said:
Do you record with a mixer? Patch the effect into that so that you can hear it through the headphones, but so that it doesn't go to disk.

Hey dobro. Nope. I am totally confined to my DAW here. I have a lexicon omega, Cool Edit 2.1, and amplitube (among a few other DX FX)

No one has any other thoughts? Guess I will try to find the new cool edit forums or adobe whatever...

ocnor said:
Make a copy of the track and apply the FX to it . Then you can mute the original track.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/jerryroncomusic.htm

No no no. :) Its all right everyone. I got a response from the audiominds forum. Looks like CEP doesnt support FX on the monitoring mix. Which I think is really crazy, but I can understand the reasoning. Now I have to find a different application. What really pisses me off, is that Amplitube is now worthless to me, really.

version2 said:
What really pisses me off, is that Amplitube is now worthless to me, really.
Why is that plug worthless? Just b/c you can't monitor with it? To me, the great thing about Amplitube (or Revalver) is that you have an infinite variety of POST recording tones to slap on it and possibly change as your mix evolves. What might sound like a kickass rhythm tone when you track the guitar can sound waaay too muddy once you put it in the full mix.

But I do understand the desire to monitor with it. Get an amp, lol.

chrisharris said:
Why is that plug worthless? Just b/c you can't monitor with it? To me, the great thing about Amplitube (or Revalver) is that you have an infinite variety of POST recording tones to slap on it and possibly change as your mix evolves. What might sound like a kickass rhythm tone when you track the guitar can sound waaay too muddy once you put it in the full mix.

But I do understand the desire to monitor with it. Get an amp, lol.

Heh. Well, I have quite a few amps and a couple of half stacks. I purchased Amplitube to increase my options, but really it just isnt what I was looking for. I guess I will look for a hardware option like the Pod or something.

version2 said:
Heh. Well, I have quite a few amps and a couple of half stacks. I purchased Amplitube to increase my options, but really it just isnt what I was looking for. I guess I will look for a hardware option like the Pod or something.

While I'm new to all this recording stuff, (but high in age of casing), I understand why some FX are desirable in, say, a mixdown. But why would one want to record a guitar track and then FX it AFTER recording? It seems to me that the "tone" is what should be recorded; the sound coming from the amp.

I'll admit, I have a lot to learn so far as the recording is concerned. The tone I get from my Twin Reverb is pretty decent. There's nothing like shoving a mike in front of it and being done with it, so to speak. I also am not interested in spending mega $ on stuff that might not be necessary.

Just an opinion.

RB Byrd
Flower Mound, TX

Something like Amplitude is not just an FX processor...It's an amp modeler. So, technically, recording a dry electric guitar (no amp) into the computer and then adding the effect after to suit the mix is no different than recording the modeled sound directly on the track. It's the same signal path: Guitar-Cable-Audio Interface-Amplitude (or whatever)-Mixed Down track. Recording dry and adding the processing later greatly increases your tone shaping options.

Back