FX Order?

shadow5606

Quick Cakewalk Sonar question. When applying realtime FX to tracks either while tracking or just afterwards, is there a proper order for certain FX or does it matter when applying them inside software?

For example, I typically use just some EQ, Compression & Reverb on most vocal and acoustic guitar tracks. When I add those to the FX line on a given track should I add them in a particular order or are they all applied simultaneously? I believe that if I were using a hardware rack for these FX that order would matter, right?

They are applied in the order they're in, so generally you can just use that to consider how one might effect the other, and how it might help getting your desired end efficiently. An example would be a fairly large eq change (like a bass cut/trim) might effect how a comp reacts and want to be first. Or on the other hand, eq after it's tone (or presence in the mix) has been shaped by compression is just as typical. The tone' of a verb is partly the tone sent to it.. etc.
Same for hardware. ;)

shadow5606 said:
So in other words, the seqence has an effect but there's not really a "standard" order to avoid mucking things up?
That's about it. And maybe keep some head room (space below zero' peak) in the tracks feeding the plugs so you don't have to worry about a boost here and there pushing them over down the line.
Wayne

granted no-ones gonna spank you no matter what you do... but i'ld always been told the traditional way was to do them by type... first tonal... then time based... then dynamics... or EQ/REV-DOUBLE-FLANGE/compress-limit...

Back