FW-1082 Strange CPU usage

JoeNovice

Junior Cheeseburger
I was testing Cubase performance after installing new RAM and noticed this;

Using the faders to do multi-track automation can use up to 25% of my CPU power.

I had the task manager open and would touch several of the faders at once and the CPU would spike to 50%.

The song was about 8 tracks of MIDI triggering two VSTi's (Colossus and Kontakt 2). These instruments (and other .exe) without fader movement constituted 20-25% CPU usage.

Is that normal?

that sounds a bit high to me but who can really say??? what else are you running?? system particulars???? when you touched the faders it basicly went into an update mode and was waiting for more instructions...

system:

P4 2.8 ht enabled
2 GB RAM
3 disk drives (2 ATA, 1 SATA for samples)
ASUS MOBO

running during event:

Cubase
Kontakt
Colossus
background services (system stuff)

The jump in processor usage only happens when WRITE is enabled and multi-faders are used. The process spike doesn't occur during READ.

....thoughts?....

I wondered if it may be due to HT enabled. I've read that the instruction threads can get jumbled and reduce performance on complex task.

well.... your processor isn't all that fast in the first place. 25% seems like a reasonable usage noting that you are doing something that is a little bit more cpu extensive anyways. Whenever automating at home or studio, I always notice a cpu spike regardless if it's an AMD or INTEL. Not always that high, but your using an older CPU anyways. While automating on my Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz system I get around 7-10% usage & I automate just about everything.

Granted 2.8Ghz is not a hugh amount by todays standard.....

However, if massive sample VSTi's like Colossus only use 20% when active it doesn't make sense that fader automation would use more.

I go from 20% with multi Colossus patches and Kontakt 2 running to over 50% while using faders to input automation.

Does fader automation really require that much processing power? It is only sending MIDI data, correct?

Back