Furman PQ-3 Parametric EQ???

rtzstudios

Does anybody have any knowledge of these units? Basically I want to know if they're "studio quality?" I do know that lot's of musicians use them live, but what about the studio? Only reason I'm asking is because I can get a couple really cheap (one is the original and the other is a re-issue.) Thanks!

I beleive this unit is only semi-parametric (there is no fully-variable Q control), therefore somewhat limiting its use in the studio.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce! So in other words...probably not such a good investment? Are varible-Q knobs absolutely necessary?

I did do a little bit of research on the PQ-3 and your LA Audio unit and compared them. The PQ-3 has a constant-Q I take it? Also, it's a little bit noisier and contained a bit more distortion. The frequency ranges varied somewhat too. Maybe I'll just save my money. :)
Your help is always appreciated!

The LA Audio is fully-parametric. You could probably make SOME use of a semi... but if you're going to bother buying an outboard EQ, then you really should get the one with the most flexibility.

If you can't adjust the width of the affected frequencies, you're setting yourself up with some serious limitations and on top of it, you wouldn't be any better off than you are with a typical console's EQ!

:)

Bruce

Back