Funny noises in Reaper

nfgrufio

Hey guys,
Im new to reaper and ive come across a little problem. I cant seem to record a single thing for my life without and over-bearing static in the mix. I dont know if its an issue with grounding or something with my mics or even with my interface, cables??? No matter if im doing bass DI or recording a guitar with condenser mics I still get the same horrible static buzz. And on top of that, every couple of minutes I will hear some static break up for about 1 to 2 seconds and it gets very annoying. Here is a sample of the noises from a jam i just did with friend. If you listen at 0:22, you can hear the static break up, and on everything else you can just hear the constant static.

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/716958578/b7b820c76d59057d8d3d860e04161de6

Has any one else had these issues with Reaper?

Im using a Presonus Firepod...

It could be a bad cord... Or more likely, the way you are connecting to the computer. The input (or whatever you want to call it) might be damaged. It might even be a glitch in the program. Try some other recording programs, and see if it still happens (Audacity, Sound Recorder, Garage band *MAC*)

I just tried using the Line out 1 instead of the main out 1 and I turned the Mixer knob on the firepod all the way to the right(not sure what it does) and the constant static seemed to have disappeared, although I still get some buzz when im not touching my bass, which i guess proves to be a grouding issue now.

Is EVERYTHING plugged into the same wall socket???

Very often there are more than one electrical circuits in the same room
(so ALL the lights dont go out when a breaker flips)
and mixing circuits can lead to electrical noise.

The noise at 0:22 sounds like what happens when I forget to turn off my wireless card before hitting record.

Wow this is totally new to me. Ive never turned my wireless off... must be the problem.

I was tearing my hair out trying to get rid of those little pops before I realized I was ignoring one of the recommendations on most "Optimizing Your DAW" guides.

Back