"Funky" Bass

GamezBond

Hey...I was recently listening to a track on Mariah Carey's new album...and man this bassline caught my eye (erm...EAR :D). Not only is it played in a "funky" rhythm...it also sounds funky. Especially the Mid-Range Frequuencies. Once you listen to it, you'll hear what I'm talking about.

Here is a link to the track.

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=021AET5L04NMQ19YJHQQRPX89Z

Does anyone know what kind of effect they ran the bass through :confused:

I'm not too sure what effect was being used (other than an eq) and I'm not sure if I like it, but it kind of sounds like they mic'd up the actual bass and mixed that in.

Are you sure?

I dont think basses just miced up, sound all "rugged" and "raw" like the track I posted...they usually sound very smoother when miced up...thats why i think its some kind of effect maybe.

The fret board is mic'd up to pick up the sound of fingers, slapping, the fret board & the pick & that's mixed with the DI'd or cabinet mic'd instrument later or even live if you have your chops & mic'ing together.
Sorry I'm an hideous musical snob & can't bring myself to Carey enough to listen - sorry bad pun. BUT try the technique & see what YOU think.
Cheers
rayC

Sound like an old bass, could be a Honer violinbass (the beatles kind), miced at the fretboard to capture the string rattle. It also sound like it's beeing run through an old amp (very middy sound), with a bit of distortion on top (the string rattle sounds more than realistic to me). Somewhat of a doublebass sound to it, so I'd definately say it's an acoustic bass.

Back