Funk song needs new ears

Man, this really does take forever to load! Why is that? How big is this file?

After waiting three minutes and trying twice, I gave up. Maybe you should consider using soundcloud, soundclick or one of those services instead of dropbox.

Real cool song. Nice performances. All around. especially love the bass player and lead singer. but everyone is good.

The recording has a live feel. vocals and drums have a distant or roomy feel.

Dig the tune! Funk & Soul are my main genres.

The drums are definitely too far back, imo. The horns and organ could be punchier too. To my ears, this mix is too much guitar and bass and not enough everything else.

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the lead vocals sound too distant? The female vocals are pretty wet to put them in the back a bit, but I'm trying to decide what to do with the lead vocals. Are the drums too roomy?

Why are you posting this again? You already answered the question. I disagree with some of your points. First of all Bobby Valentino is not horrible remember Mista?? Second, r&b of the 90's was so dope and it had strong elements of hip hop so that isn't the problem of todays r&b.

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the lead vocals sound too distant? The female vocals are pretty wet to put them in the back a bit, but I'm trying to decide what to do with the lead vocals. Are the drums too roomy?

I don't know if I'd describe the lead vocal as too distant (I probably shouldn't have used that word). But to me it's too roomy. I'd dry it up considerably, and maybe give it an EQ boost somewhere in the 5K - 6K range.

I'd dry up the female vocal a bit too.

To my ear, the drums just sounded too soft.

The drums sound like they're in a hallway beside the band almost. They're just not present enough. The organ only pokes thru once in a while and the horns don't have weight to them... when that dynamic change hits near the end of the song, I want to hear that sucker PUNCH. It all sounds a bit limp to me. I'd be happy to help you mix any of this, if you like. I left some comments on your soundcloud page - you can follow the links to hear some of my funk mixes. :)

Why are you posting this again? You already answered the question. I disagree with some of your points. First of all Bobby Valentino is not horrible remember Mista?? Second, r&b of the 90's was so dope and it had strong elements of hip hop so that isn't the problem of todays r&b.

.... ?? umm, random? :confused:

Back