Full duplex?

hattond

hey
just re-discovered this thing called music. kids and building houses out of the way now.

not too bthered re hi fidelity - just want to be able to multi track ideas when they flow. demos and whatnot

have a compaq computer p4 2.8ghz (6-10 yrs old i guess) - has a Realtek AC 97 s card that came with it. when i record on cool edit i can never hear what i am playing come back thru the phones. is this something i can make happen with said card or is it never gonna happen with this setup. can hear the other tracks that have already been laid down but not the one i am playing as it happens. only really an issue with vocals.

any help / suggestions would be great

I don't know cool edit but is there a monitor button you need to turn on on the track you're recording?

I have a feeling though that with your current setup there would be too much latency, so you should really get an audio interface.

Go here to learn about interfaces and home recording...
Audio Interfaces and Soundcards

I found that for monitoring a small mixer came in very handy. Thus I was able to monitor signal in, as well as plug in various instruments. Very handy indeed. It needn't be expensive. Picked up an 8 channel in a second hand shop. You'll need software with a virtual mixer which allows you to configure each strip's audio I/O. Place your recording plugin on a strip, route the strip to the master and mute it. On that strip, set the IN to your soundcard (ASIO/ ASIO4ALL). Then you can listen in on your physical mixer, with no howl-around.

Back