FS: A&H SR424 w/case + snake

TheRockDoc

I am selling a (I guess now it is 'vintage'- former top of the line) mid 80's Allen and Heath SR 424 24x4x2 along with a Calzone road case and a 24 channel (actually I believe it is 20x4) whirlwind snake. Both have been COMPLETELY cleaned at an excellent local place, www.chillybirdproaudio.com in Va Beach. Specs are here at http://www.allen-heath.com/veterans/sr_plus.htm along with links for tech and brochure

everything has been tested and is fully functional and in reasonably good/very good aesthetic condition.

I purchased it recently with the intent of having a nice pro PA to get a band going, and literally less than 24 hours later, I got a call back from my old band, hence the board is simply sitting... funny how things work. I am essentially getting back what I got and put into it to make it as great a condition as possible.

$950 +/- shipping or bco, but it has to go

I know- you wanted sexy photos...
IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

now you love me, eh? :)

This...

...is a fantastic deal...24 channels of late 80s/early 90s A&H analog goodness; 4 buses; 4 auxes (internally configurable if you want them all to be pre-fader) - and a 20 channel snake for $950?

Somebody should jump on this.

I have no connection to the seller - just very envious of the deal someone's going to get on this desk.

Jay

Looks like that thing has taken quite the fuckin' beatin', man lol. Is that RUST at the bottom of the linear faders?

You might get lucky and be able to GIVE it away. Drop that sucker off at the local thrift store. Not being a dick, just looks to me like someone unzipped their pants and pissed in the fader paths.

*edit*

Seriously, man. That thing looks fuckin' RUFF LOL! Maybe you can salvage the knobs and melt them down for the plastic.

Last edited:
Man, I gotta believe you're borderline delusional for asking $950 for this thing, all jokes aside. I'm not trying to invade your right to sell the thing, but be realistic with yourself.

The snake and box look beaten to hell. Busted open, rusted, dirty as all hell, and ready to puke the fuck out at any moment.

Then there's the board itself. Dude, seriously.. $950? No wonder you can't get rid of it. There just isn't anyone in their right mind gonna spend that kind of money for a board in that condition.

Snap out of it, man. It's not even usable on any level. The only thing that crosses my mind, is the possibility of it being used in a garage band rehearsal type situation - And even THAT looks like it's been done to the death.

This is a classic case of musicians who don't know how to take care of their equipment, and even taking it further a step by abusing the shit out of it. My personal opinion. Nothing "sexy" about those photos lol.

Good luck regardless.

Looks like that thing has taken quite the fuckin' beatin', man lol. Is that RUST at the bottom of the linear faders?

You might get lucky and be able to GIVE it away. Drop that sucker off at the local thrift store. Not being a dick, just looks to me like someone unzipped their pants and pissed in the fader paths.

*edit*

Seriously, man. That thing looks fuckin' RUFF LOL! Maybe you can salvage the knobs and melt them down for the plastic.

Totally out of line, man. This is a quality mixer that's recently been serviced by pro techs and would be great for small to medium sized venues or the home studio looking to go outboard. There is a LOT of value in this mixer, and for the price, it's a bargain!

The condition is nothing to criticize since it's priced accordingly. Heck, I've seen dozens of live sound mixers being used by pros on a daily basis that look far worse than the one being offered here.

Totally out of line, man. This is a quality mixer that's recently been serviced by pro techs and would be great for small to medium sized venues or the home studio looking to go outboard. There is a LOT of value in this mixer, and for the price, it's a bargain!

The condition is nothing to criticize since it's priced accordingly. Heck, I've seen dozens of live sound mixers being used by pros on a daily basis that look far worse than the one being offered here.

It's beaten to hell, man. Seriously. It's been abused, and all the input paths look corroded. If you call that "Pro", then maybe it's just the mixer for you.

I'm really NOT deliberately trying to give this guy a hard time. It's just been itching at me to come in here and enlighten this guy as to why he hasn't gotten so much as a single reply before mine.

There's normal wear and tear that will make a piece of equipment look less than brand new cosmetically. That usually has no bearing on the sound. But in this situation, you can clearly see where all the connections are rusted and dirty - and if you wanna try telling me that will have no effect on the sound, then I'd seek a second opinion.

it was listed for $950 as:
board w/case $650
snake $300

After reviewing the original post, I realized that I never showed the split prices

It is now $625 (board/case) and $260 (snake)- with an extra $25 bonus for anyone that shows Surg the door on his bottom.:rolleyes:

so $885 for BOTH pieces

but I appreciate Surgeon's dickwadable comments... if this thread were in the Cave, there'd have been some more colorful commentary. Maybe his 'insights' will prompt someone else to make use of an excellent board that has been completely serviced, completely functional with all working parts and lights and a former top of the line board with a fully working and tested 24x8 Whirlwind snake.

Thanks for playing!!!:D

Last edited:
hey doc... FWIW... i played in a band back that had one of those... anyone believing that its not above the peavy/mackie/dreck... is kiddin themselves... i think the guitar player from that band is still useing it... (last time i saw him)

Back