Frustrated!!....

brandrum said:
:mad: :mad: ..WTF......I've spent too much time on this for it to sound this bad...granted I don't know what the hell I'm doing but still.......what can I do to make this track bearable? I just can't get a good drum sound....Is it the room?...is it the overheads (pg81)?.....it's probably just me though....or a combination of the three.....FUCK!! http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3908035&q=hi

Hey brandrum,

Just a few ideas that may help. I am listening on my pc speakers so I may not be too accurate.
Maybe just bring the mids down on the snare and back it off a little in volume, maybe 1 or 2 db's.
The guitars I can't quite decipher but the distorted guitar may benefit (if you haven't already done this) from being stereo tracked and panned hard left and hard right!
Maybe the bass needs bought up in the mix to give it some bottom end!

I am listening on some very average pc speakers so I don't really know how accurate my calls are!

Gorty :)

Gorty said:
Hey brandrum,

Just a few ideas that may help. I am listening on my pc speakers so I may not be too accurate.
Maybe just bring the mids down on the snare and back it off a little in volume, maybe 1 or 2 db's.
The guitars I can't quite decipher but the distorted guitar may benefit (if you haven't already done this) from being stereo tracked and panned hard left and hard right!
Maybe the bass needs bought up in the mix to give it some bottom end!

I am listening on some very average pc speakers so I don't really know how accurate my calls are!

thanks Gorty...I recorded the dist. guitar in mono and doubled the track, would I still benefit by retracking in stereo?...you think it needs more bass??....that's always a hard call for me...I'm always worried that I'll end up with too much...Thanks again, I'll give your suggestion a try.

brandrum said:
thanks Gorty...I recorded the dist. guitar in mono and doubled the track, would I still benefit by retracking in stereo?...you think it needs more bass??....that's always a hard call for me...I'm always worried that I'll end up with too much...Thanks again, I'll give your suggestion a try.

The doubled guitar track should be fine!....Do you have them panned hard left and hard right??

The bass issue is one that I am calling from my listen on my pc speakers, so it may be invalid!

Just try and give the guitars their own little space in the big picture, don't have them all panned in the same positions, seperation is the key, it just sounds like the guitars are all fighting for their own space except the intro guitar!

Sounds like you want to round out the bottom end of the bass EQ, and punch the high mids up a bit. That little stabby electric part is really distracting, maybe back it off a db or two....loving the drums, i would back the snare off and crisp the high end on it a little, give it some snap.
Maybe a little eensy weensy 'verb to warm that soulful voice up a smidge.

djhead said:
Sounds like you want to round out the bottom end of the bass EQ, and punch the high mids up a bit. That little stabby electric part is really distracting, maybe back it off a db or two....loving the drums, i would back the snare off and crisp the high end on it a little, give it some snap.
Maybe a little eensy weensy 'verb to warm that soulful voice up a smidge.
there is a touch of verb on the vocals....that's another thing that I'm always worried about having too much of.....you really think the drums are useable?....I'm just not digging the sound at all.

Gorty said:
The doubled guitar track should be fine!....Do you have them panned hard left and hard right??

The bass issue is one that I am calling from my listen on my pc speakers, so it may be invalid!

Just try and give the guitars their own little space in the big picture, don't have them all panned in the same positions, seperation is the key, it just sounds like the guitars are all fighting for their own space except the intro guitar!

I hear ya on the bass....I didn't have them panned hard left and right, but I do know....really seemed to help...I'll work on the others some more....so you think it's more of a matter of panning than eq'ing?

brandrum said:
I hear ya on the bass....I didn't have them panned hard left and right, but I do know....really seemed to help...I'll work on the others some more....so you think it's more of a matter of panning than eq'ing?

Panning will give each instrument it's own little space to sit in the stereo field, which is basically the position you hear an instrument coming from which is more prominent when you listen in headphones for example.

Eq'ing will help you segregate each instruments certain frequencies so you can have instruments like the kick drum and bass guitar sounding clearly for example. These two particular instruments will target much the same low frequencies so you need to eq to give them some frequency seperation!

I hope I haven't confused you with my babble!!!! :o :o

Drums aren't bad...I think they could be made to fit. Try and get the kick a bit more invloved, and maybe tone the snare down some. The snare has a nice pop, it's just prominent. With the kick a bit louder, the snare might be ok, but you might need to tame it. The mix is a bit convoluted. This will take some work. Some negative eq in the right places will help. Seems the mid-uppers are getting louder than the rest. Try dropping them a little....2-3 db. That might clear things up some. Nothing horrible, it's just the loudest part of the tune, and takes away from the bottom some. Just some tweaking man...and I have that problem all the time. I like one thing, and it buries another. Creating the holes is kind of hard. Keep working at it...you'll get it.

I hear the snare needing to come down and the bass drum up, but other than that, it appears to hit the mark. It's all clean and clear, which isn't always easy to achieve.

Hi rum!! I am listening on headphones because of the hour. I will listen on my monitors later in the evening ...First thing, you have a very unique voice. :)

I am really digging on the tones and talking of the axes.

I generally do not care a lot for feedback, but your use of it in this tune is very fitting and I think you have just the right tone and volume on it.

The snare sounds as if it could be a bit more popped, or brought up, especially when the song sends out energy. The kick could too...it seems almost non-existant. I like the ryhthm of the drums in this. Nice playing. :)

Damn, I wish I could listen on the monitors!! I have listened so much, I have lost count.

This starts out like an 'America' song.

TRue :)

Hey Brandrum, this tune is coming along nicely, not too much needs to be changed:
Drop the volume on the snare a bit.
Bring up the kick drum.
Take the volume down on the lead at 1:20 it's panned good but is too loud when singing.
Lower the feedback a touch or maybe more reverb on it.

Just a few tweaks and I think this will be done! Great song!

:D :D :D :D

true,dog, Ido...thanks I'm gonna tweak it some more today....maybe try to redo the drums today.....just not happy with them.... as others have stated ,I just couldn't get the kick to come through and for the life of me I couldn't get any ring out of my snare without tuning it too low and getting lost in the mix.....thanks again for listening how ever it comes out, I'm done with it today. :mad: ....but by repanning some stuff I did seem to clean some issues up.

brandrum said:
true,dog, Ido...thanks I'm gonna tweak it some more today....maybe try to redo the drums today.....just not happy with them.... as others have stated ,I just couldn't get the kick to come through and for the life of me I couldn't get any ring out of my snare without tuning it too low and getting lost in the mix.....thanks again for listening how ever it comes out, I'm done with it today. :mad: ....but by repanning some stuff I did seem to clean some issues up.

Keep at it, attack it again when you have fresh ears and a less frustrated state of mind!

You are winning Brandon!!

I've been messing around with the overhead placement...I think that was my main problem with the drums. :o ....hopefully they come out better today.

brandrum said:
I've been messing around with the overhead placement...I think that was my main problem with the drums. :o ....hopefully they come out better today.

Post up the latest mix when you are ready Brandrum!... :)

Back