Frustrated with Drums!

Farno

Hey!

Right now I'm having a heck of a time doing a cover for a song. I want to do the drums (EZDrummer) and can't get a single thing to line up. The song is a SOAD demo track so I am pretty sure there was no metronome used.

I can either ditch the idea of programming drums to it identically and instead make a in time version, which still doesn't avoid the problem of me which is programming drums. Would an MPC help with doing the drums? I'm tempted to get an electric drum set and learn to play the drums (good idea?).

So what are some tips? Thanks

I'm tempted to.................learn to play the drums (good idea?).

Of course it's a good idea. But expect it to take a long, long time. If you're patient and practice hard, you'll be able to lay down your own tracks.

I personally think drum programs take away from creativity. It's nice to just sit down behind a drum kit when you're inspired to record and get a complete demo done in an hour instead of spending an hour programming drums....

That's exactly how I feel, trapped with no versatility with EZDrummer. The only problem is, a drum kit is a huge jump and with my little experience I don't know if it will help.

If I were to get a drum set it'd probably have to be electric. It's cheaper that way instead of buying 6 mics and real kit.

I just use the demo version of Addictive Drummer instead of a metronome, sorta like a bit nicer click. Then I get my real drummer to play for recordings. If you're doing rock, jazz, acoustic stuff, nothing beats, or comes even close to real drums! Find a drummer or you will always be frustrated with drum programs, or learn to play them yourself!

Have you ever tried using drum loops? Learning to play the drums is of course the best way to go but it could years to develop the skills you need just to do a decent recording.In the meantime you could try loops which are nothing but samples of a real person playing drums.It'll still take time to arrange them to make a complete song but they're not as hard to program since you're not having to arrange each individual snare,kick,hi-hat etc.You'll loose a little bit of control over those individual elements though.I use the beta monkey double bass mania loops but there are others out there.Just a suggestion.

That's exactly how I feel, trapped with no versatility with EZDrummer. The only problem is, a drum kit is a huge jump and with my little experience I don't know if it will help.

If I were to get a drum set it'd probably have to be electric. It's cheaper that way instead of buying 6 mics and real kit.

Good electric sets cost over $1000 and of course the more expensive the better the sounds are. It would be cheaper to buy a $600 set of Ludwigs and 2 or 3 SM57's

hi im new here and looking through some drumming stuff

currently recording an album (lo-fi style which i like) and looking for different ways of doing things.

anyway...

Why don't you try recording each part of the kit seperately to creat a nice thick beat thats a little bit different.

get some drum sticks and mallots, try putting a mic in a big cardboard box and pound away with the mallot? get some bass drum eq on there afterwards?

etc etc.

Back