Fruity

nave

Cave Relic
I just started using fruity loops and for whatever reason I can't seem to figure out how to load my own samples into the program, assuming that this is possible how is it done??? Pardon my ignorance.

I just downloaded a couple of pretty cool accoustic samples that are wave files. I should be able to get them in there, right? or no? I have been reading the help menu but it's not helping :D

I don't use fruity, but I figured this out once, lets see...

If you can figure out how to put a new sound in the mixer... right click on it's name and select load sample. browse out the sample that you want. that sould do it.

Go to 'channels' -> 'insert channel' -> 'sampler'. This will insert a new track. The track properties panel should also pop up, if not you can toggle it on by clicking the track's button. On the properties panel, just click the little folder icon and that'll let you browse to whichever sound files you want to insert.

Excellent........Now, within just two seconds flat, I'm ready to rock ;)

Thanks elevate and torpid....Probably should have figured that out on my own but Originally, I was trying to do it by going to "tools." Only because I noticed the folder and browse option there. But when I browsed to the file/path of the sample nothing appeared in the folder because the tools browse option is configured only to search for .exe files and not wave files; which are what the samples are. Not that you care......Anyway, that's obviously used for something else. I'll figure it out in time.......The program seems fairly damn easy. I just somehow missed that little folder and browse option on the properties panel. I must be blind....I knew it was something so simple.

Anyway, thanks a heck of alot.

nave - If you're new to Fruity Loops, and you're making beats I think it'd be good to mention the graph editor - an indespensible tool for making beats sound more "real". Up in the top right of your track window, you have "Graph editor" and "Keyboard editor." Clicking "Graph editor" will bring up a windw for whichever track you have selected. This will allow you to adjust the pitch, pan, resonance, cut, volume, and (most importantly) shift.

>>>>>>>>>>Clicking "Graph editor" will bring up a windw for whichever track you have selected. This will allow you to adjust the pitch, pan, resonance, cut, volume, and (most importantly) shift.

Cool thanks.....I've already messed with resonance, pitch, pan, cut and volume....I think actually in the properties panel and also by just clicking on the single hit itself....and yet in other ways that I can't recall at the moment....It seems there are several ways to do the above...This is an older version of loops maybe it's not the same as yours......But I admit, I haven't really checked out the graph editor other than clicking on it for a second or two......and this "shift" feature that you speak of sounds very intriguing and I'll check that out as soon as I can........thanks

Also, If you have time to answer, where do you find most of your samples.....I mean accoustic samples....as close to a realistic kit as possible.....Do you purchase CD's for them? If so, any that you particularly recommend? Or do you find them on the web as I have for a couple of them? Any sites you recommend?? Thanks alot man.......

BTW, I'll try to make some drum beats that sound better than the white stripes just for you. :D also, I dig tool as well, even though that's typically not my style.....and their drummer is pretty damn amazing....probably my favorite part of that band......

Check ya later.

where do you find most of your samples...
Here and there. I started off with the sample disc that came with the Boss Dr. Sample I used to use. I got a good number of cymbal samples from Sabian, Paiste, and Zildjian's web sites. Some other I've found are surely bootlegged off of sample cd's, but I'm not really sure. If you don't have any ethical objections, I could set up an ftp for you to download some drum samples to get started with. Email me (elevate@cox-internet.com), and we'll talk.
BTW, I'll try to make some drum beats that sound better than the white stripes just for you.
Glad to hear it! ;)

Here are my samples
click here
these are individual 16 bit acoustic samples in folders plus zip files

by the way,the dialog when the program first opens will let you take entire folders of samples in without doing it one by one

Elevate and Tom you guys rock man

Elevate....ethical objections eh???? I'll send you mail :D thanks for all your help man.

and

Tom Hicks bro......thanks alot for your cool link...just did some dling....excellent.....thank you

I Thank the both of you for helping me get started..If you are ever in New Jersey, beers are on me!!!!! :D

Nave,

Here's something you might want to try if you plan to use Fruity a lot and want to avoid hassles while using your own samples (as you know the default samples are pretty weak!). Fruity likes to see the samples in the same place aways....here's a way to organize.

First: Put all your samples in a neat folder that will always be in the same place and full of only samples. This folder may have subfolders. EX: MY COOL ROCK SAMPLES might have subs like: DRUMS in which you might find: KITS, SINGLE HITS, SNR, KIK and so on and then maybe a folder called KEYS in which you might find ORGAN, CLAV, FARFISA.....you get the picture.

OK...you should always have the sample browser open...if it isnt, hit F8.

Hit F10 to bring up environment settings. Go to the TAB file. under "directory," click one of the folder icons and a window will pop up allowing you to browse.

Use it to find your master folder (i.e. MY COOL ROCK SAMPLES).
Tip: you should actually name this folder something more like 0000 or AAAA....you'll find out why in a second.

Once you click OK, look over in the sample browser. If you named it 0000 or AAAA it will be right at the top.

Now open that folder up and find a sample.....drag and drop it either on one of the existing channels or right at the bottom where there in no channels.

Fill in a tic or two and hit play.....rock out.

Also...in that folder, make a sub folder at the bottom like ZZZZ and always save your songs there. This way if you need to back your stuff up or rebuild you PC, you will only have one folder to back up that will have all your samples and songs in it. It also helps in the event of a Fruity upgrade since the program always installs over itself....your folder will never be touched.

Let me know if this helps or you have any other questions....I've been using Fruity a long time and while I'm no Guru, I HAVE found my way around certain pitfalls!

Have fun,

heylow

Hey heylow

It's funny man that you say that stuff....cause I already have the AAAAAAAA and 00000000 stuff down....that's what I've been doing so I don't have to scroll to find the damn thing all the time....Actually though, I've been more partial to the !!!!!!!! and the ####### etc...etc.....but hey whatever does the trick...:D

the F8 thing is great.....that will come in handy..and I wasn't aware of that....it gets annoying having to re-open and re-browse back to the sample folder over and over again.....so that's good to know...

I'm not even sure what this F10 enviroment thing that you speak of is....I haven't got a chance to try this one yet.....

Also the subfolder Idea for the songs is great....I will be reformating my hard drive with in the next day or so, so all that stuff will need to be backed up....

Thanks alot for the advice...it will come in handy...

Back