Fruity MIDI

Editor

Don't know if this fits in this forum but here goes ...

I'm an old musician but new to MIDI. Managed to make a few tracks in Fruity Loops 3.4 using sample channels as well as MIDI instruments. Everything was going well (had some trouble making the MIDI channels play but figured that out) until I tried to export a song to a WAV file. All the sample tracks exported but none of the MIDI instruments.

I hear the full mix through the speakers but it doesn't show up in the WAV file.

I know I must be overlooking something simple. When I couldn't get sound from the MIDI channels through the speakers, the solution was click 'MIDI OUT' in the MIDI settings menu.

What am I doing wrong?

(looks like I'm talking to myself here ;-)

OK, I've figured out that Fruity Loops and CuBase don't export MIDI tracks to a WAV file.

Is this possible to do?

If Fruity doesn't export to wave, then you'll have to patch your soundcard output back into Frity and record back into itself. This is done very easily if you have a mixer hooked up to your soundcard. If not, you'll have to use a program like Rewire (or others) that are virtual audio patchbays. It's kinda hard to wrap your head around most of these programs though.
I recommend the small mixer with at least two busses. Route your soundcards output to buss 1, and take the send from bus 1 back to the soundcard input, monitoring everthing through the mixer.

(thanks for the reply mike ... it was kinda echo-ey in here;-)

Fruity Loops & CuBase will export to EITHER a MIDI file OR a WAV file. For example; I export the bass line, piano & percussion (MIDI) from Fruity Loops to a MIDI file, then I export the SAMPLED tracks to a WAV file, then I open CuBase and import (1) the midi file and (2) the WAV file. Both sync up and I can hear the playback but I still can't mix everything down to one file.

So what you are saying is that it ISN'T possible to mix MIDI & WAV's in one output without looping the MIDI output back to the program? I think I understand -- the MIDI file is still data, not audio.

For some reason I thought I could end up with a complete audio file.

Editor said:
All the sample tracks exported but none of the MIDI instruments.
Fruity Loops have an annoying habit of including demo versions of their plugins which refuse to render to audio unless you've bought them separately. For example, you can use the Styrus synth all day long but when it comes time you render your masterpiece it won't work and won't tell you why.

And it IS possible to end up with a complete midi and wav file --- just watch carefully that you don't use any FL/Image Line demo version plugins.

FL is now capable of using VSTi's with the aid of what they call the 'Fruity Wrapper', and you can find hundreds of free and shareware VSTi's here.

ssscientist said:
Fruity Loops have an annoying habit of including demo versions of their plugins which refuse to render to audio unless you've bought them separately.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I once spent most of an evening putting together a piece using their SimSynth only to find that it didn't save the settings! Same thing happened when I used the Soundfont Fruity Wrapper (I googled a free Soundfont player so that wasn't a big problem). That's not the case here though, it was the first thing I checked in the manual -- the MIDI OUT module is not a demo version.

And it IS possible to end up with a complete midi and wav file ---
I would have thought so, I mean, if I can render an audio (WAV) file using Fruity's 3XOSC or some other soft synth, why wouldn't the MIDI convert during the export?

I still think I must have screwed up a MIDI setting somewhere.

Back