Fruity Loops MIDI

TMHill

Hi All

Having just wasted another evening on this extraordinarily user-unfriendly program, can anyone give me any clue whatsoever as to how to actually make Fruity Loops actually send MIDI data to an external instrument in real time? Like it says it does?

I can export a MIDI file, but thats not even similar to what it promises it can do.

I have a Proteus 2500 and I want FL to play it for me. I didn't think this would be an entirely unreasonable request, but it seems that once again I'm "pushing the limitations of the software" simply by asking it to perform the most basic of actions.

Any and all advice from you great people is as welcome and wanted as ever.

Cheers
Tom

I dont know that program but most are the same.
Make sure your midi cables are hooked up correctly.
You may need to go to the drivers page within the program and make sure is is set to output midi data to the soundcard you are using.

All hooked up correctly (I know because I can control it with every other MIDI program I own. Even with cr@ppy scripts I wrote myself!)

Its something to do with Fruity Loops sends. There is no MIDI signal arriving at my module - except the "song start" signal.

Its soooooooooooooooo frustrating!!!

Tom

Thanks, elevate. When I ask for help in future, I'll remember where not to come.

(What was it Dustin Hoffman said about Hugh Grant...?)

Tom

Like I said, Read The Fucking Manual. It's in there, plain as day. I had never done this, so I thought I'd try it out. Took me all of 1 minute, including looking it up in the help, and I was triggering my DM5.

If you can't figure this out by looking in the help, which should not be the case, come back and I'll try to help.

I'm not sure what standard of idiot you are used to dealing with, but reading the manual / checking help files is something that a reasonable person would do as a matter of course.

As a reasonable person, this is obviously what I did, and I couldn't solve the problem.

My next step was to ask as many "informed" sources as possible in an attempt to correct the problem by means beyond the manual.

And you know what? The solution was not in the manual. Unbelievable, but someone knew what the problem was and solved it for me right away.

This website is usually one of my "informed" sources, but you have actually managed to change my opinion. I truly will think twice before posting somewhere where someone's gut response to a perfectly simple question is to assume that they are an idiot and to swear at them.

Tom

Among other things, I'm the IT guy at a company in Louisiana. Does that clue you in to the kind of idiots I work with? Why do you think the acronym RTFM exists?...because everybody reads the manual? I knew less about triggering external hardware from Fruity than you did when I looked it up in the Fruity help, saw what I needed to do, did it, and it worked. If you had trouble doing that, you should have said so, and I would have gladly tried to help. The fact of the matter is that most people who have software problems don't read the manual. In your case I had no reason to assume otherwise, particularly with your "extraordinarily user-unfriendly program" comments.

[edit]
I apologize if I came off as rude. I don't want me being an ass to tarnish your opinion of this site. HR.com is, IMO, the best home recording resource on the web and it would be silly if you didn't come here first for answers to your questions just because I was a bastard.

Last edited:
TMHill said:
Hi All

Having just wasted another evening on this extraordinarily user-unfriendly program, can anyone give me any clue whatsoever as to how to actually make Fruity Loops actually send MIDI data to an external instrument in real time? Like it says it does?

I can export a MIDI file, but thats not even similar to what it promises it can do.

I have a Proteus 2500 and I want FL to play it for me. I didn't think this would be an entirely unreasonable request, but it seems that once again I'm "pushing the limitations of the software" simply by asking it to perform the most basic of actions.

Any and all advice from you great people is as welcome and wanted as ever.

Cheers
Tom

When you click the individual midi track a window will open (see attachment)

You need to select the correct device and patch number for each MIDI track imported. This assumes that the 2500 is in GeneralMIDI (GM) mode which should give you 16 different sounds at once.

Give this a shot, If you have any problems just try back and I'll see what I can do.

Dennis

Attachments

• fruity1.jpg
    fruity1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 38
Back