front rubber roller for TSR-8???

MartyMcFly

I would like to know if it is an important thing to replace or atleast inspect the front rubber roller of the TSR-8? Im talking about the big roller right before the heads...but it has that ribbed rubber strip on instead of a big rubber roller like the pinch roller after the heads?
I just had my back one retreaded by terrys rollers.
What about that front one?

I would like to know if it is an important thing to replace or atleast inspect the front rubber roller of the TSR-8? Im talking about the big roller right before the heads...but it has that ribbed rubber strip on instead of a big rubber roller like the pinch roller after the heads?
I just had my back one retreaded by terrys rollers.
What about that front one?

Isn't that large ribbed roller under the left reel the counter roller? If so, I think it's only critical for the counter to work precisely. Thus, its rubber should not be hard, shiny or slippery. If it is, you may find a one time cleaning with caig rubber cleaner to be sufficient, rather than having it rerubbered.

Generally, rubberized tach rollers enjoy a longer life span then pinch rollers because they aren't under the same pressure as there is no capstan pressing the tape into it.

So unless it's been subjected to the most vile Sticky Shed Syndrome for a prolonged period of time, you need not worry.

Cheers! :)

Back