Front head on bass drum or not???

CellarCat

I took the front head off of my kick drum to take out the pillow i had in there and i put a piece of foam 4inches thick by 8 inches wide and long enough to go around the whole inside of the drum..I think the drum sounds better with no head put back on ... way punchier!!! anyone else out there like it better with no head on???? It will also make it easier to record as i can get the mic right inside ..

Sure. It's done all the time but I personaly like it in a jazz style or harder rock were the kick can ring a bit.

For a pop/rock sound (or in general if you prefer), use a pillow-blanket to dampen the sound some what.
This way you get more control over the <Thud> and aviod to much ringing.

That is the perfect set-up for a reggae session. No front head and a cranked batter with lots of padding. I found if you play heel-up/power style, a low tuning with a soft but heafty pillow is good. It all depends on the session and the foot. HITMAN.

CellarCat said:
I took the front head off of my kick drum to take out the pillow i had in there and i put a piece of foam 4inches thick by 8 inches wide and long enough to go around the whole inside of the drum..I think the drum sounds better with no head put back on ... way punchier!!! anyone else out there like it better with no head on???? It will also make it easier to record as i can get the mic right inside ..

I personally, use a full front head, with a Foam pillow inside-but I have MayEA Mounts in my kicks-so there's an AKG D112 mounted inside my kick drums. You just plug them in!

Playing Hard Rock, I just prefer the fullness that I get from using the front batter head.

Tim

For the best of both worlds, look for a kick drum head set called "Retro" or something like that (I'm at work right now, can't think of it). It has a fine *screen* for the front head and a small black pillow that vecros inside the shell. It lets just enough air out but gives it just enough resonance to make the perfect sound, IMO. It's the ultimate compromise between front head or no front head.

Back