From where are you running your sub?

M1Fanatic

Digital whaaa?
For those using an analog desk and using a sub woofer, where are you running the sub-out from?

I'm running the main monitors on the monitor outs through the amp, and at the moment I'm running a powered sub off the amp. I have the option to use line level out of the desk, but haven't decided where to hook it up.

I still have studio outs, and two phones out for use with a headphone distribution system.

I like the idea of using the studio outs since I can assign that to the main mix buss like the monitor outs and it has a separate level control.

Do what works for your setup. I have an active crossover for my 2.1 monitoring system and all the speakers are self-powered so I just use the monitor out of the mixer (or control room).

Thanks. I didn't think there was anything 'standard' but thought I'd ask. I think I"ll use the studio outs. I'll get that hooked up tonight after work.

The reason for the switch was so that I could wire another set of smaller passive monitors to the amp. Since the sub is powered I can use a line in for it as well as speaker in, so I wanted to get it off of the amp.

My monitors are active and I have them hooked up to the CR out of my mixer. It works for me. My headphone amp is hooked to the monitor outs of the desk. Like Sweets mentioned, it's up to you.

If your mixer has studio and control room outs, typically the monitors will be connected to the control room outs because the studio outs are usually included in the talkback loop and you donzt want the talkback mic passing through your monitors in the control room...feedback.

If your mixer has studio and control room outs, typically the monitors will be connected to the control room outs because the studio outs are usually included in the talkback loop and you donzt want the talkback mic passing through your monitors in the control room...feedback.

The Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro I have doesn't have the talkback option (that I know of) I wish it did because that would keep me from yelling across the house.

Yeah, duh. I found that out the hard way once already and for the last time. I wasn't quite familiar yet with the board and pushed the talkback button by mistake while I had a track running. Scared the crap out of me as I was about two feet in front of a monitor. :eek: My first console with TB on board.

I don't have a separated control room so I can pretty much use anything for the sub. My main concern was getting it off of the amp to free up the speaker outs for two additional monitors.

Right now, the main monitors are coming out of the control room outs.

The first time you really learn where your talkback mic goes...I have been there and boy HOWDY does that mic pick up the monitors well...heheh...

The Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro I have doesn't have the talkback option (that I know of) I wish it did because that would keep me from yelling across the house.

Use a mic with a quiet switch, put it in a spare channel and bring it up in the aux send or whatever is going to headphones. If you don't have a spare channel maybe get an Audio-Buddy preamp, connect that with a Y-cable to the aux returns that can feed the aux sends used for your headphone mixes.

Yeah...that's what I did for my Yamaha 01X mixer...put a mic in a spare strip and set sends on that strip as post fader so the ON function for the strip effected the sends as well. Then I didn't even need a switched mic.

Back