from ADAT to PC

1manband

ok. i am running 8 tracks from mixer to ADAT, back to mixer for mix and effects, can i run all 8 tracks out to PC using my main outs on the mixer? I have a L and R main out on mixer and a single 1/8 LINE IN my PC soundcard, (i do not use pc for any ellaborite recording function other than to receive the tracks and burn them to cd) Will a simple Y adapter work to get my 2 wires into the PC and will it still have the tracks Panned L or R respectively?

Im not sure about the answer...kinda sloppy doing that.
I wiould get a card that has spdif inputs and put your mixed tracks back on ADAT and do a digital transfer to your PC.

So all you want to do is transfer the completed mix to a cd?

If thats it, Get a dedicated CD burner for the job. Either buy one, or save up all your completed mixes for a while, then rent one for a day and go crazy. Or what Stealth said.

Recording through your computers stock soundcard isnt gunna do you any favours.

If you want to transfer each track seperately, find an audiocard with Adat lightpipe inputs... then transfer them that way...

There're real cheap ADAT cards out there going for about $100-150.

What you described will work, but like Ziggy says: your stock sound card isn't doing much good.

Herwig

Yes, you'll still preserve your panning and you'll have a stereo .wav that you can make CD's from. The final product will only be as good as your soundcard's converters but I'd imagine that it would sound better than MOST cassette recorders. Hell, I've even transfered ADAT tracks two at a time through a Soundblaster (all 8 tracks slated with a click at the same point) and then lined them up in Cakewalk for editing. This was a VERY long time ago. What program are you wanting to record on in the computer?

Back