Fried Inputs

fstrat76

I have a Tascam FW 1884 which is an A/D interface, control surface, and mixer that I use for connecting my analog gear to my DAW.

I am posting this here because you guys are all-knowing about repairing mixers and inputs and such.

It looks like I may have fried my inputs 1 and 2 on the mixer thanks to a stupid loop I created to my analog gear. I hookup a line source or mic to channel 1 or 2, turn the trim up all the way, and its either no signal or very distorted. All other channel inputs work fine.

Now, the 1884 is not worth a lot anymore so I probably don't want to spend a whole lot on repair.

What do you think the issue is and is it something I can repair myself?

--Mike

I think I may have found the solution with this issue. After much digging, I need to replace the opamp for those dead channels. I don't know for sure that that will solve it, but I'll give it a go and see if it works.

The problem is that there is no protection to the opamp when turning on phantom power then plugging in a mic.

This is a common problem with the older units.

Mod's, please move or copy this thread into the Tascam forum so any others who might run into this problem can find it.

Back