Friday (Cover): no joke

RobbieL

mr. president
okay so maybe you've heard it maybe you haven't but Friday by Rebecca Black has gone viral. So viral, in fact, I had a local band in the studio tracking their demo and they decided to add this to the mix. They put a rock/alternative kind of spin on it but its still the same concept and lyrics. The AutoTune/Harmonizer is a little rough and there's some notes in the bass that need to be AutoTuned as well. But in any event, here it is, a rough mix of Friday, covered by Technicality.
http://www.filedropper.com/fridaytechnicalityroughmixdnd-ma

Before the download finishes, I'm pretty sure that is a terrible song to add to your demo! That's a one-off YouTube cover or something you throw part of into your live show for maybe another month.

Yeah, the auto-tune needs work. It's mostly just introducing artifacts.

It sounds like these guys are basically a ska-core band sans trumpets? That scene will probably be more tolerant of this song for longer than other alt-rock.

The guitar tone sounds good, but there were a few flubbed notes.
Bass sounds good.
Gang chorus sounds good. :D

It's not my band but i will mention to them that they should reconsider adding it.

I will probably have to switch autotune into grid mode and manually correct every note. Also, I probably mentioned this up top but the gang chorus uses the harmonizer not the lead vocals (like what Ke$ha uses in "Take It Off")

As for the band, these guys cover harder stuff than ska but they do some Reel Big Fish and things like that. BTW that wasn't what I was going for on the recording but hey, whatever floats your boat :)

The low bass note is out of tune every single time, which throws the whole track off.
Autotune is way too strong... sorry but it's just horrible to listen to. You've go to know more about what you're doing to use autotune, you'd honestly be better off without any of it at all.

I just can't bring myself to listen to it again until the bass tuning and autotuned vocals are fixed (*melodramatic!*)

I liked the tone on the regge guitar in the verses - I thought it sounded perfect. Personal taste thing, but I didn't care for the "regge verse/punk-ish chorus" approach. The transitions didn't flow well IMO.

The singer sounded like he had real trouble to hit the falsetto notes. Either that or he was over-doing his mic technique. Couple of pitchy notes elsewhere too.

Some bass notes really pop out here and there.

Liked the claps at the end.

You left out the stupid bridge where she explains how Sunday comes after Saturday and such. That's the "best" part of the song.

The low bass note is out of tune every single time, which throws the whole track off.
Autotune is way too strong... sorry but it's just horrible to listen to. You've go to know more about what you're doing to use autotune, you'd honestly be better off without any of it at all.

I just can't bring myself to listen to it again until the bass tuning and autotuned vocals are fixed (*melodramatic!*)

No problem. I've never used autotune before so I'm learning as I go. And believe me, those bass notes bother me as much as the next guy, I didn't have time during this particular session to go back and re-do it but I could bring the bassist in over the weekend to patch it up (it's just an open E i think)

No problem. I've never used autotune before so I'm learning as I go. And believe me, those bass notes bother me as much as the next guy, I didn't have time during this particular session to go back and re-do it but I could bring the bassist in over the weekend to patch it up (it's just an open E i think)

Back