Fretless Action!

Bass Freak

i want a fretless. but, im not sure where to get one with the lines...i need the lines :( can i order some bass's with lines? or do i have to take it somewhere to get the lines on it?

freak

Bass Freak said:
i want a fretless. but, im not sure where to get one with the lines...i need the lines :( can i order some bass's with lines? or do i have to take it somewhere to get the lines on it?

freak

I would imagine you can get one with lines. I know that Warmoth sells necks with lined fretless fingerboards. If you can't find one, get a fretted and have it converted. It is not cheap, as it is basically a refret, but it can be done. Say 175-250, I would think.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Fretless

Fender Fretless Jazz Basses have lined fretboards (at least the Mexican ones do). In fact, I am trying to sell one at the moment. Other than that, though, I think you'd be hard pressed to find lines on a production model.

Many, many basses come with lined fretless boards. Yamaha, Spector, Schecter, it's a long list as well as Fender. Having said that, I just switched from lined to unlined fretless, and it really is not that big a deal. You've got the position markers on the topside of the neck, and they (unlike those on a fretted) are where the frets would be, and it's much easier to use those than to crank you're neck over and stare at lines on a fretboard. You have to interpolate for the missing frets, but a few sessions playing with a tuner in the loop will get you confident. Unlined looks a lot cooler, IMHO. (Pic of mine below)

Anyway, if you choose lined there is a lot of choice.

Attachments

• manson 1.jpg
    manson 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 115
that is a WICKED bass. yeah i thought about it more, and the lines just seem like something to make me stare at more than anything else. hm i think im going to have to go to my local guitar monger and see what theyve got to sell.

freak

Let us know how you get on, bass freak. Couple of tips for you.

If you get a lined one, remember you finger ON the fretlines, (or sometimes very slightly behind - work it out with a tuner). Because the fretlines get closer higher up the neck, getting good intonation above about the 12th fret takes some care and practice. If you plan to play chords (which can sound wicked on a fretless) make sure you get a neck wide enough that you can get two fingers exactly side by side.

If you like to vibrato your notes, don't do so by moving the string from side to side, especially if you string with roundwounds - you'll gouge the neck. You vibrato a fretless by moving your whole hand up and down the direction of the neck, sort of swivelling around your fretting finger, like a double bass player.

Fretless bass is a fantstic instrument - especialy unlined as it gives you such a sense of freedom. Have fun.

I play a lined fretless. When playing you can't actually see the lines on the fingerboard. You only need marks on the top edge of the fingerboard where the frets should be to guide you.
Pete.

I don't think they currently make P-Basses without frets (unless you order one from the custom shop and spend an arm and a leg), but it might be nice if they did.

I wanted $250 for it-it's in great shape. It does have roundwound strings on it, but I am a guitarist and just had it for recording and messing around. I hardly played it, and there is little if any wear on the fretboard.

I consigned it in Detroit, and they guy in the store told me he could get $330 for it (meaning with the 20% fee, I'd get $275). I went in the other day, and it was still there, and the creep priced it at $350. I'd still get $275, according to the agreement I signed. If you are interested, I'd be willing to take it off the rack there and sell it for $250, or even less maybe. Let me know if you are interested.

And just a note, things would be ideal if you were close enough that you could pick it up or I could deliver it. I really hate mailing guitars and basses.

mailing big stuff isnt fun.

well i was playing my friends 5 banger fretless.

wowzers, i cant play it for the life of me. i think i need to play a fretted for just a littttttttle longer. oh sure, i can feel where it should be, but, its just not there.

btw, i had a jazz fest type thing a couple nights ago. the highlight of the night for me, was when a classically trained upright player played. it was entertaning to me, because, she didnt move at all with the music. just stood board stiff and played. kinda bummed me out, cause if i had the upright, id be dancing and what not. you know how it is will school insturments :-d

freak

Hey bass freak don't be put off. You can't go straight to a 5er fretless and expect it to happen all at once. Just get a 4, give it a few weeks, you'll be in a new world.

BTW though she didn't move did she play well?

Back