Fret boards

marshall.amps

I need a fret board for a guitar im building i have the body and the neck cut out, and the neck isnt shaped yet. Does any body know were i can buy a fret board that has the frets on it already? I dont want to put the frets in my self it sounds too complicated and i dont want to mess with them.

I would post pics but i cant get them to go on there to big.Also if you have any truss rod suggestions.

putting frets on a fretboard that's not already installed on a neck would be pointless. has the fretboard been removed on the neck that you have?

Nope im building my guitar out of wood from th lumber yard nothing pre cut from the factory. So there was never a fret board on it and i need an idea on what to do for a fret board dont know much about em i and need one.

you have to glue the fretboard to the neck before installing the frets. :D

if you have'nt figured out this much yet, you're going to have a pretty tough time building that guitar. there's alot of good info HERE on guitar building.

what kind of glue do you use to glue in the frets and do i need a press to put them in or do i need a special hammer or something?

How long should my truss rod be if my neck is 21 inches long?

If i make my own fret board can i make it out of oak and what should i cut my slots for the frets with?

Im also thinking of doing all gold hardware the color gold anyway i think it would look better with oak. I cant find much gold frets so it you know any sites post em please.thanks

Your spelling has improved. Now we just need to work on your grammar. Get that taken care of, then we can talk about building guitars.

marshall.amps said:
Do I need to put a radius on my fingerboard?

you need to buy a book on guitar building and invest in some expensive tools and then be prepared to fail the first time out......guitars ain't lincoln logs, lots of minute detail and measurements that you can't find on a yard stick.......Hey Light, where are you?

marshall.amps said:
Im also thinking of doing all gold hardware the color gold anyway i think it would look better with oak. I cant find much gold frets so it you know any sites post em please.thanks

Gold is not the material of choice....wears out very fast!

marshall.amps said:
what kind of glue do you use to glue in the frets and do i need a press to put them in or do i need a special hammer or something?

How long should my truss rod be if my neck is 21 inches long?

If i make my own fret board can i make it out of oak and what should i cut my slots for the frets with?

Again....clueless as to what and how anything needs to be done

marshall.amps said:
Nope im building my guitar out of wood from th lumber yard nothing pre cut from the factory. So there was never a fret board on it and i need an idea on what to do for a fret board dont know much about em i and need one.
Don't know about fret boards

c7sus said:
You would be lightyears ahead building a kit the first time out.

just wastin' time here C7........this guy is more dim than hat boy! Has to be Walter's love child!!! :eek:

I believe (not sure) you can get gold frets by electroplating the fret wire. The fretboard needs a specific radius or compound radius. Some guys hammer in frets, some press them in, and some do both. I've read that hammering frets in is tough for a newb. You cut the fret slots with a saw. I have no clue how long a truss rod should be. Look it up. Same with the fretboard glue. I know that there are a handful of different glues that builders use. I found a site once that went into detail about how a guy built a strat with all hand tools and homemade jigs. I imagine that he had some previous wood working skills though. I'll see if I can dig up that site for you. Did you check out projectguitar.com?

TravisinFlorida said:
I believe (not sure) you can get gold frets by electroplating the fret wire. The fretboard needs a specific radius or compound radius. Some guys hammer in frets, some press them in, and some do both. I've read that hammering frets in is tough for a newb. You cut the fret slots with a saw. I have no clue how long a truss rod should be. Look it up. Same with the fretboard glue. I know that there are a handful of different glues that builders use. I found a site once that went into detail about how a guy built a strat with all hand tools and homemade jigs. I imagine that he had some previous wood working skills though. I'll see if I can dig up that site for you. Did you check out projectguitar.com?

Yea i had already looked at that site (projectguitar.com) and a number of other ones with lots of detailed pics. I had already decided im not going to do gold hardware. I dont think i have to radius my fingerboard i have seen guitars with out them, but i might buy one cause otherwise i will have to buy a realy thin blade for my table saw and measure out the distance between all the frets. I have heard of a website that has those measurements but i dont remember it.

Im going to try and post pics again not sure if it will work.

Back