Fresh reinstall of WinXP?

reshp1

Can someone give me a quick rundown or link on how to do clean reinstall of WinXP (Home). All I can find info on is a "in-place" install over what's already there. I don't think I need to reauthorize my Windows as long as I don't change my hardware configuration, but in case I have to, how does one go about doing that. I, unfortunately, didn't write down the auth code they gave me in a separate place. :o
Thanks in advance for the help

1. Create a boot-disk for booting up DOS mode
2. insert the boot disk before starting up ur computer
3. follow the on screen instructions to enter DOS mode
4. after u reach the DOS mode, type 'Format C:', drive letter will depend on what drive windows is already installed. i put C: drive because its very common. After that, press enter. and press Y, whenever it asks for the verification.
5. after the drive has been formatted, u need to install a fresh copy of the windows on that drive...now to do this, u require a bootable windows CD. this is how i did it thought im not sure if ur windows CD is bootable or not.
6. after that, its just a matter of setting up windows as u normally would.

it's really easy:
-put your Windows CD in the drive and boot the computer (make sure the first bootable drive is your CD, not your hard drive....you can change this in the BIOS)
-your computer will see it's the Windows CD and ask if you want to boot to it....press enter.
Then just basically follow the on screen instructions to reinstall windows.

You'll need to delete your windows partition(s)...then reformat the space you just freed up...then tell windows to install in that free space. This all happens when you boot to the CD.

Just follow the onscreen instructions. It's easy
But yes, you will need your COA code....came with the CD.

Thanks guys, sounds like I was thinking it was a lot harder than it is. About the COA code, I have the original disc and packaging, but I remember having to call some automated system and getting an a code from them, or maybe I gave them my code. Oh man, I wish my brain still worked.

the COA code is a 25 digit/letter code that was given to you in the form of a sticker. It came in the Windows installation book with the CD or may be stuck to the top of your computer if you bought it from someone or put it on there yourself.
There's no need to call anyone up if you still have that code. The only thing you have to do after you enter it is to activate windows which can be done online. Pretty much they just send info over to Microsoft to validate your copy automatically....it takes two seconds.

Make sure you get the minimum drivers required by the new system, so it can connect to the internet. This means network drivers for sure, and storage drivers if the disk is SATA.

If you bought a Dell, you can plug in your Service Tag number on the Dell site, and go to a page that lets you download every required driver for your particular machine. I'm doing this right now with a brand new Dell 6400 laptop. I save a disk image of the factory system, then wiped the C: partition clean for a reinstall without all the bundled junk. The performance increase is quite substantial.

You must have the WinXP registration code available. If you had it installed on different hardware, the install will force you call Microsoft and grovel for a reset of your token. XP hashes the hardware and uses it as part of the registration key. When the hardware changes, the install won't register until you grovel.

If you have a bootleg copy of XP or a cracked serial number, give up now. MS is wise to that shit, and the Windows Update won't work.

Back