Frequency Response - vertical lines mean?

The549

a hack
I googled this, it seems like a noob question, though I've done plenty of recording.

I'm guessing that the vertical lines on a frequency response graph are uneven in order to represent how humans hear low -> high frequencies.

Despite a quick unhelpful google search here at work, I've always wondered what exact frequency each vertical line is at, and if they are consistent (already in my examples this isn't the case), and if so IS THERE A WAY to ascertain quantitative data/what frequency each line is at, or if it's completely subjective and thus retarded (imho :p ).

One example (29 lines from 10Hz - 20(?)Hz)
Fletcher

another example (28 lines from 20Hz - 20Hz)
http://www.goldwoodsound.com/Tweeters2_files/GT25graph.pdf

another example with a different number of vertical lines (20 OR 21 lines??)
Understanding Speaker Frequency Response - eCoustics.com

I work with numbers while recording...including speaker response, parametric eq etc... Is there a way to acquire more quantitative facts on these graphs?

Thanks!

The vertical lines are on a logarithmic scale, I think, to make it easier to fit the 20Hz to 20,000Hz range on a readable graph. On the X axis, where you see frequency, you see the units increasing by powers of 10. A proper graph will have the units and values clearly indicated for each axis.

Your first example is really just a picture for purpose of explanation rather than real graph.

The second example is better - the equal loudness contours. Along the bottom, you read 10 100 1000 10000 and in between are vertical lines. Between 10 and 100, each vertical line represents an increase of 10: 10,20,30,... 100. Between 100 and 1000, each line represents and increase of 100: 100 200 300..., 1000. And so on.

Is that what you were asking?

Paul

I'll have more time to look at it later tonight....so I'll check if it's typically log base ten, with the vertical lines bunching up closer to it non logarithmic identifiers. I guess that's why one of my linked graphs goes up to 100,000.

20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 ->100<-

space

200 300 400 etc.... ->1000<-

it just didn't seem like all the graphs have a full set of lines leading up to the log values which made it confusing for me, thanks for the direction.

I hate it when you just get that urge to learn something and you don't have the time to spend learning it...it all makes sense now. Thanks, you all answered my question.

Back